version 3 topcase on macbook 1,1

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sselemit, Aug 6, 2009.

1. sselemit macrumors member

I have an old macbook 1,1 and got the discolor issue. So, I ought to replace the topcase. I know that i can use version 2 but can i use version 3? Is the version 3 compatible with my first gen macbook?

Thank you.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The V3 keyboard works fine on the early MacBook Core Duo models - as long as you are running OSX 10.5 and the media keys work perfectly....

Are the early MacBooks still not covered by Apple for the discoloration issue - maybe worth a phonecall to AppleCare. Your topcase may well be split too so again Apple may replace the topcase for you.

3. sselemit thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your informative answer. Did you replace yours as well? How do you come to know this? I just wanna make sure before i make the purchase.

I did call apple care but the guy said he cannot find any related issue. So I tried to search for the referenced document on apple.com to show to the Genius but no luck. I think going to apple store will yield the same result. What do you guys think?

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I used to have a link to the Apple service document for the yellow/brown staining on the early MacBooks but the document is no longer on the Apple site....the document was HT1472.

I would be very surprised if the Genius Bar have forgotten all about it though

5. congote macrumors newbie

Would the version 3 keyboard work on older MacBooks using 10.4? I understand that expose and multimedia keys won't work but I want to know if the other keys may work. Thanks!