versions/models of Airport Extreme Base Stations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by g725s, Sep 1, 2009.

1. g725s macrumors member

I'm considering getting an Airport Extreme Base Station off either eBay or CL used to save on cost.

I cannot find any info on different versions that have been made in the last year or two. So I know if I'd be getting a latest version? Can anyone enlighten me?

I really know nothing about the Airport Extreme Base Station. But thought it might be best at this point because we only have Macs in the house. That might change in the next year or so though. I probably will add a PC to the mix eventually. I used to know PCs well and routing and networking for them back in the early Windose 2000 era. I've been out of touch though for the past 7 -8yrs or so though.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

well there's 2 models. The older one and the newer one that has the dual band simultaneous capabilities.

3. g725s thread starter macrumors member

Any identifying model number or such that will differentiate between the two?

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Pretty sure there are 3 models.

First one didn't have gigabit ethernet.

Second one had gigabit ethernet.

Third one had dual band capabilities.

As far as telling them apart try here

5. bbydon macrumors 6502a

The model numbers sometimes differ by region but the US models for the new ones were ...

Damn its really hard to find these... lol
    ... i will keep searching
    new
    MB763LL/A Dual band
    MB765LL/A time capsule, dual band

older ones
    MB053LL/A
    time capsule MB277LL/A MB276LL/A

6. bbydon macrumors 6502a

Dual band is the way to go. You can have both g and n networks at the same time. example.... your iphone (G) and new macbook pro (N)

7. g725s thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone for your help. That helps alot. I'll keep my eye out for the dual band version. Seems a good amount of the dual band versions can be had easily on eBay for ~$160. As low as about $80 but the details are vague and makes me think those are not the dual band versions.