Versions of Windows

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seladore, Apr 27, 2008.

1. seladore macrumors newbie

I am going to be installing some version of Windows on my Penryn Blackbook, in order to play Morrowind.

Questions:

1) XP or vista?
    2) OEM or full version? (Bear in mind the >£100 difference)

Let me know your thoughts
    Thanks

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Man this is always a hot topic,anyways my vote goes for XP OEM

Try looking in the windows on the Mac section,as you will find loads of answers there

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

4. mrtune macrumors 6502a

5. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I'd say go with XP. No reason to get Vista and risk more problems than you need to..that's not to say Vista = bad all the time, but XP is a much safer bet, and there's really no reason to up to Vista if you don't need to.

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Buy XP as soon as possible! Microsoft will be killing supply of XP (CDs bought in store) in June.

7. Sablet macrumors newbie

vista lags with 2gb of ram , vists just sucks period

8. jcgnu macrumors regular

I may be the only one who suggests Vista.

when i first got my mbp, i installed xp and after the first reboot it crashed and never got it running again...

after a few hours, i decided to install vista and so far it's been working great! sure i'm not saying vista rules, coz it surely doesn't... but, it perfectly fits my needs and looks a little bit better than xp...

ohhh and finally, i know most people will tell me: i've got xp working great... i know, my friends too... i just don't know why it happened to me, but really, i could only use it ONCE. after that, it completely broke.

9. richardson.hila macrumors member

XP OEM

or Vista if you have more than 2gb ram

10. eman macrumors 6502a

Definitely go with XP, I found Vista is not compatible with many things.

11. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I have had the same experience with XP Pro on my MBP. It ran for a while then crashed. Wouldn't run unless in safe mode. I then reinstalled Windows and it crashed on the first reboot. The same Windows partition continued to work fine under Parallels and is still running through a transition to Fusion. Since this is a work machine, I am still running Tiger, so another Windows install would require setting the date back or waiting until we get the OK to move to Leopard. Even if I can fool Bootcamp beta into running again, we don't have the OK to run Vista yet either! Since I don't run games on a work machine, I don't really worry about whether Bootcamp is working as long as I can run Windows.

My home Mini, on the other hand, has been running Windows XP Pro under Bootcamp since it first came out and has survived also being used for Parallels, a CPU swap from CD to C2D, an upgrade to Leopard, and a transition to Fusion. I mainly use XP under Fusion, but do occasionally use Bootcamp to play games.

To answer the OPs question, XP Pro OEM is still my preference, especially if you think you will ever use it with Virtualization as well. The XP virtual machine can be given as little as 512 MB of RAM if you have 2 GB total, or 1 GB if you have 4 GB total and still run well. The only advantage of a full license is support and somehow I think Microsoft will use the EFI with BIOS emulation rather than full BIOS as a reason to not support you, so you might as well go with OEM and look to other Mac users for support.

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

For 32-bit then XP-OEM is your best bet, for 64-bit i can only recommend Vista. Personally i prefer Vista to XP though. I know it is slower, but it's worth it for that silky smooth interface!

Also people never mention all the new things in Vista which are quite nice. Small little additions that you can't really quantify but just make using a computer a little easier and better.

13. steeler macrumors regular

I am going to be doing the same thing and will be using XP, mostly due to performance.

14. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

If you need DirectX 10, vista is your only option. If that's the case, buy Home Premium or Business. Ultimate is a waste of money unless you need all the features of Windows.

15. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Vista is slower unless you have lots of RAM, althou it is better to install XP now i would recommend you get vista just because its the future and you will get more support then if you had XP.

16. seladore thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, I have installed XP OEM.
    Two more questions, then:

1) Windows seems oddly stretched, or the resolution is odd. It this because of widescreen? (I Haven't installed the various drivers yet though, I hope this resolves it)
    2) Is there any way to hide the extra drive on my OS X desktop?

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

drivers should fix that.