Versus touchpad 7 tablet

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by funter, Jul 21, 2013.

1. funter macrumors member

Hi, sorry if this i a stupid question - my son wants to buy a cheap tablet "Versus" which is android and has usb 2.0. Will it be easy to sync music/photos with my IMac? Or even just to copy them and from my Imac? Many thanks.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Most of us here would advise you against buying a cheap tablet. They don't seem to come with Google Play and it might be an issue to get it onto there. A Nexus 7 would be the better buy, and since the newer version is about to come out in the next few days, the 1st generations are going to be a lot cheaper.

As would they sync... They don't natively. And starting with ICS, they switched to MTP for connections, so you'd have to get this:

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

There is DoubleTwist that would sync everything for you, with an additional app, but that's in the Google Play store, so you'd have to either sideload it, or figure out how to get the Play Store on the device.

Google just updated their store with new hardware specifications, so it's probably going to be a lot harder to load it on an unknown device without issues in the future.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Second this suggestion. If the OP is located in the US, Staples has the Nexus 7 on sale for $199 for the 32GB model, $179 for the 16GB version (vs. $249 and $199 respectively in the Google Play store). As much as I wasn't a big fan (performed fine, just don't like the screen size/ratio and big bezel), I'm picking up another for my daughter.

4. Explicitic macrumors 6502

ASUS's Memo Pad is available on Amazon for $99, much more reliable than any other cheap brands you'll find out there.