Vertex 2>Vertex 3 Upgrade? Performance difference? (Early 2011, 8,2)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -greedy-, Jun 17, 2012.

1. -greedy- macrumors newbie

Alright all this talk of the retina MBP has got me wanting to upgrade my Pro to somewhat keep up with the times. I already have 16 GB RAM so I'm good there. I also have a 64GB Vertex 2 for the OS and Apps. Would upgrading to a Vertex 3 make a decent difference in performance? Or should I just stick with the 2?

2. -greedy- thread starter macrumors newbie

3. markusberger macrumors member

markusberger

Actually wondered about this myself...

4. -greedy- thread starter macrumors newbie

wondering if i opt for a 128 GB version if that will make a difference as well.. I have about 20 gigs free spage on my 64.. would haveing all that extra space help with performance as well?

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

There will be a difference because the 3 can hit higher transfer rates since it supports 6gbps sata. Not sure if it will be appreciable enough though :)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Vertex 3 is definitely faster but it's hard to say if the difference is noticeable. SSDs are pretty cheap now though so getting a 120GB Vertex 3 won't break the bank. Maybe you can use the Vertex 2 in some other machine?

7. Meever macrumors 6502a

The difference in "normal" usage will be minimal. A second or two faster in opening apps. Three to four seconds faster boot time.

It would be wiser to get a higher capacity to put more apps in it. Or better/more reliable brand.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Real world use, you will not notice a difference (unlike when you went from HDD to SSD). Also if your upgrading, I would recommend against a Vertex, its hit and miss with them. Get an intel/Samsung, very reliable.

9. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Had two Vertex 3s in my early 2011 MBP for well over a year now, no issues, highly recommended.

10. Brett0712 macrumors member

In the event you do decided to pick up a Vertex 3, Newegg has the 120gb Vertex 3 as todays shellshocker for $79.99.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I also own one, with no issues. Though Google Vertex 3 reliability, and you will see some horror stories. Though my vertex 3 is still going strong, I will be buying Crucial M3, Samsung 830 or Intel 510 in the future, as reliablity is more important then slight performance boost i will never notice