Vertex 3 Firmware Upgrades, notice any difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpitUK, May 23, 2011.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

I have FW 2.02 in mine. 17" MBP and loving the performance. I dont usually bother updating the FW anymore, used to but CBA now.

The new one interests me as it has a lower idle power. Anyone who has done it have you noticed any difference? If it adds battery time im defo up for doing it.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yes, plus there is a nice increase in performance. If you do your homework the firmware isn't too hard to upgrade. I like the method of using another pc to do it, booting from a linux live cd but there's plenty of ways that work.

3. lankox macrumors regular

Can you point us to a thread that describes how this is done (the procedure)? Thanks!

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Its the second link on the page.

http://tinyurl.com/3m2kn6a

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Or... you could just post the link instead of taking a dig at the guy. :rolleyes:

6. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Can someone tell me if I have Firmware Version 1.08, I assume version is the same as revision?

[​IMG]

And is 1.15 the latest? OWC'z website is a little hard to decipher. Thanks

7. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

My vertex 3 firmware says 2.06. What is the latest firmware please? I also would like to know...:)

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

How are you checking your firmware? Same as in my screenshot? Everything I read says to check revision number, not version?

9. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Oh...right. Yeah I am looking under version. Where do I check to see what "revision" the firmware is?

10. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'm thinking that must be it, I'm just not sure.

Is your Vertex 3 working good for you? I have a 2011 15" MBP also. I just want to get the firmware up to date before I install the drive. It kind of sucks there is not an easy, straightforward way to do it on a Mac.

11. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I definitely agree with you, not an easy task. I like just installed my drive on my 2011 15" MBP 2.3 Quad i7. Its a 120GB MAX IOPS Vertex 3 so maybe thats why the version # is 2.06. So far it is lightning fast. Apps open before one bounce. However, I would like to properly maintain my SSD so I would prefer to do the update. I've heard somewhere on here that there is a way to upgrade the firmware having it installed on your mac. Also, I couldn't wait to install. :D

12. p1ngputts macrumors member

i tried to put the ssd into my PC but the PC wouldn't even boot up. I just had a black screen the whole time.

13. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Correct me if I'm wrong please. I "read" that one way to do it is to but the SSD into an external enclosure. Log into windows as admin and download the OCZ Firmware update tool.

I didn't try this because I just wanted to install already. However, my rational for not doing this is that one would think if your updated the firmware this way, then put it into your MBP and install OSX, you would just write over the firmware update?

Just a thought though. Has anyone actually successfully done this?

14. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

HAHA omg the vertex 3 is sooo fast. When i boot the apple logo will show up and then it loads the desktop before the spinning wheel of bars even shows up! yeeeah

15. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I am a little anxious to install it also, but I definitely want to update it first. Since it is a firmware update, you would not lose it if you update on a PC then install OSX on it later. The firmware would not ne affected. I am hoping to find a PC I can borrow today to update it.

16. p1ngputts macrumors member

Taking from a post above, could I just put my ssd into a hdd enclosure (assuming ssd works in hdd enclosure) and plug it into my PC and download the firmware from there?

17. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Is it possible to make a Linux boot disk using a USB stick and then run the firmware update? My Macbook Pro won't have an optical drive as it will be replaced with an optibay...

18. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I hope OCZ will write an OSX compatible program for us to use... I wonder why they like it to be so difficult for us?

19. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

because the mac userbase is still ridiculously small compared to windows users.

20. p1ngputts, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

p1ngputts macrumors member

just want to bump this for answer

edit: the FW will not update through a USB/SATA bridge.

21. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

SpitUK

I did mine by connecting the vertex 3 as a 2nd drive to a windows7 pc via sata. Drive showed up in windows. I downloaded firmware updater and performed the upgrade, a few seconds later it was done. Put it back in the mac and it was done.

22. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

This is the easiest method I know of.

23. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

SpitUK

Absolutely. I took the side off an office PC and just hooked it straight to the motherboard with a SATA cable. Easy.

24. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

There's lots of other methods out there that don't work or are quite difficult. This one takes just a few minutes and seems pretty foolproof.