Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hey there friends,

I think I might have a bit of a problem. Today I received my Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120GB SSD.
I tried to install this in my 2011 15" 2.3GHz i7 MacBook Pro. OK, so I got passed installing the hardware but when I turn on my MBP and boot from the OSX DVD to do a clean install my SSD is nowhere to be seen under disk utility. It only shows the Matshita DVD drive (Optical Drive).
I know I connected the SATA 3 cable correctly but I haven't any idea why my computer won't recognize the SSD.
Even when I connected the SSD to an external enclosure and connected it the both my iMac and Windows PC it still isn't recognized!

Am I doing something wrong? If anyone could shed light on this matter I would greatly appreciated it.

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
do you really think so? i just opened it straight out of the package like 30mins ago... Could this really be possible? What is RMA? And is there any test to ensure it is actually a dead drive? Thanks in advance.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
do you really think so? i just opened it straight out of the package like 30mins ago... Could this really be possible? What is RMA? And is there any test to ensure it is actually a dead drive? Thanks in advance.

Has to be. The two of us have installed SSDs and have them recognized plus there really is only one way to install drives in the main bay so...

RMA= Return Merchandise Authorization. Basically its the process of returning the drive to the retailer. Tell them it was DOA.

The test is that both your laptop's SATA port and a SATA to USB connection don't recognize the drive.

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007

Dead drives come sometimes. Quality Control on SSD drives now, from ANY company, is not that good.

Corsair Force Series3, which came out last week, is one of the big ones. I was lucky enough to get a 100% working drive, but there are hundreds of people returning theirs to NEWEGG, and trying to figure out whats wrong. Some won't be recognized by BIOS, and some are just completely dead.

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Contact OCZ for a replacement, or the place where you bought it from. They should give you no problems. I would go to the retailer first as they can just exchange it for a new one. OCZ Customer Support will just be annoying to deal with especailly because they must be very backed up right now

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Just sent it back to Amazon via UPS ground. Does anyone know how long it will take for me to receive my replacement? Amazon.com didn't say what priority they were going to ship a replacement, however, I tracked the package and it already shipped.

I initially ordered the drive at next day air so I'm hoping the will return the courtesy and ship a replacement via the same mode. But its anyone's guess...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.