Vertex 3 on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darktiger, Apr 20, 2011.

1. darktiger macrumors newbie

Okay I decided to get a Vertex 3 for my 2011 MBP 15" since my local computer store has one for $280.

Is there anything I need to look out for? Keep in mind?

2. darktiger thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I need any type of adapter to fit the Vertex 3 into the MBP as the primary HD?

3. Cpt.N00B macrumors newbie

No and no. As long as you buy the 2.5 inch vertex 3 it should fit perfectly without anything. You do need to get torx screwdrivers though for unscrewing the screws on stock HD. Many people don't have them, and thought they can take it out with other screwdrivers, and ending up spoiled screws. If your screws is spoiled you are screwed.

4. Cpt.N00B macrumors newbie

partition the drive after successful vertex 3 installation

Make sure you have all the right tools, and follow online guide carefully, if this is your first time. It was quite easy when i did it. Remember to boot from install dvd when you have vertex 3 installed as it doesn't have OS on it. Go to disk utilities on install dvd and partition the vertex 3 as 1 partition and GUID partition table. This is important, otherwise your computer can use the drive.

5. Knuck macrumors newbie

You can also gently use pliers to unscrew them if you don't have a torx.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Also make sure you use a good quality Phillips #00 screwdriver to remove the case screws. If you use the wrong size or a cheap screwdriver it can strip the heads of the screws. Here is a nice Wiha brand screwdriver I bought, but there are other good brands.

7. darktiger thread starter macrumors newbie

The screwdriver set I bought has torx heads, also I used it to remove the screws to add additional ram a few days ago.

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions. :)

8. darktiger thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I did when I installed my Intel 510 SSD. I don't know if it is required or not, but it certainly does not do any harm.

10. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    It's really simple

All you need is a:
    - torx T6 screwdriver
    - Phillips 00 screwdriver
    - and this installation video

I had a copy of the video on my ps3 downloaded so i could follow it step by step - was easy peesy!

11. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

I didn't for either a C300 or Vertex 3 and they were both fine. Can't see that any of those settings are relevant, but what do I know..

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I know in the Intel 510 SSD thread many users reported their SSD was only detected at SATA II 3Gbps until they did the SMC reset, then it was detected at SATA III 6Gbps.

13. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

So what's the latest on beachballing and or sleep issues some users seem to be experiencing with increased frequency after installing a Vertex 3 SSD? I'd love to get one, but not at the expensive of that.

14. darktiger thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check if it is at SATA II or 3 speeds. I ran AJA and got 455mb/s write and 490mb/s read. That sounds like SATA 3 speeds.

So far no beachballs, and everything is snappy especially after I did the PRAM reset. I did not enable TRIM, because from my understanding the Vertex 3/sandforce does a good job of garbage management and also LION "might" support TRIM.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are seeing anything over 300mb/s you are at SATA III. To confirm, option click Apple logo in menu bar, then "System Profiler", then in the left side of the System Profiler under hardware select the "Serial-ATA" entry. That will show all your SATA connections and the link speed.