vertex 3 or crucial c400 ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by satirev, Feb 27, 2011.

1. satirev macrumors 6502

Im upgrading my late 2010 mbp and want to know which drive you guys think would be better.

thanks

2. jimithing macrumors member

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

That article is a year old. I wouldn't put too much stock in it, especially with the new SSDs coming out.

4. max pl macrumors regular

youve got SATA 2 so you wont get the best performance out of either of em.

didnt know there was a late 2010 mbp either.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

what I want to know is with my 2009 13"mbp using a SATA II 3.0Gbps connection will it even be worth it to get the vertex3 drive? Will the extra speed over the current generation drives be unusable due to SATA II bottlenecking?

EDIT: Just saw your post Max... thats what I was afraid of.. will there be any performance increase seen over current drives when using SATA II?

6. shawmanus macrumors member

intel also has 510 series ssd releasing in march. that is 6gbps ssd. ultimately you need to wait for reviews to see which is fastest overall among retail ssd. i would not make decision based on engineering sample sent by ocz.

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The current OWC SSDs just about max out SATA II. You will not be able to take advantage of any performance improvements with SATA III devices.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

There are not that many Sata III ssd's out yet.

9. satirev thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, there is a late 2010 mbp.

and what do you mean i wont get the best performance out of either?

i dont think you really know what youre talking about.

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

You asked about SATA III SSDs for your SATA II Mac. max pl is correct. You won't be able to take advantage of their improved performance because your Mac's SATA II interface isn't fast enough.

11. satirev thread starter macrumors 6502

i wasnt aware that the vertex 3 was sata 3.

in that case, what would the best sata 2 ssd be?

12. max pl macrumors regular

apparently yes according to posters at notebookreview as I just asked that myself today.

will wait for reviews to see whats true though.

edit: see what thehoff said.

13. TheHoff macrumors 6502

You're only maxing out SATA II with sequential read. Random reads will still be faster with the newer drives and controllers and you won't be hitting the ceiling of the controller with the more common random read scenario.

14. brendu macrumors 68020

I was just browsing their site and can not find where the posts are regarding this. Do you have a link?

what thehoff says makes complete sense though, especially since sequential read/write speeds basically do not even matter for my usage.

15. satirev thread starter macrumors 6502

so if buying a sata iii drive is not worth it, can someone please recommend some good sata ii drives?

16. satirev thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks i think i will go with the owc drive, should i wait awhile? will there be price drops soon?

17. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I bought a Crucial 256 SSD (fastest speeds with a Sata III intererface when I got it) and it's Sata III. At the time I had a 2010 MBP that didn't support the controller and so I won't see it's full potential or speed. I got it though to future proof itself as I upgrade MBP's alot.

Just got a new i7 Quad today and it looks like they support Sata III and I couldn't be happier. Lion is set to have trim control so my advise is get a Sata III SSD.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think there are any out yet. OCZ has given some new Vertex 3 SSD to sites to test, but it is not for sale yet. I believe OCZ OWC and others will be releasing new Sandforce SF-2000 based drives at CEBIT March 1-5. I would wait for one of those.

19. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i thought this so i posed the question over at the ocz forums... they gave me a very solid reason to wait for the sata3 SF2000
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...-New-update-on-the-25nm-OCZ-SSD-drives/page62

random and write speeds will be faster on ocz vertex 3 for e.g than owc/ocz vertex 2

i feel OWC it really good, the best atm. just price
    is holding me back, and they most likey in process of implementing SF200 so prices may drop in the next month.. quite significantly!

after reading around the subject for some time, i too was going to purchase an ocz drive, as owc cost way too much when shipping/tax/duty import to uk
    but with the horrors i read of the shady ocz screwing the VTEX models..crippling the drive forcing purchasers (JAN afterwards) to RMA to get the drives with the improved 64GB die size

The forum on ocz highlights quite a few fascinating facts RE ssd

so like me, i have an Apr 2010 Macbook pro, that i purchased in Dec30 2010 (no i couldn't wait for the 2011 refresh as pc died and desperately need replacement)

I too was considering buying an SSD now. but both owc tech support and a few mods over at ocz forums (whom i pm'd) have helped changed my mind

buying a sata3 ssd like new offering from owc/vertex 3 is [a] futreproof - as intend to sell this macbook in 2-3 months and upgrade to 2011 refresh, then ill be better position finacially and also use the apple edu rebate/discount
    -also if the prices are too high - vertex 3 advertised by ocz to be on sale from $500 for commercial 240GB model, i'm sure the SF2000 drives would of fallen quite some bit

However, do NOT buy a vertex 2 at this point, get an owc (price still steep as they offering NAND flash @32nm)

i'm also a newbie.. but have got a lot of free time atm.. so been asking a lot of questions

As mentioned above Lion is rumoured to support TRIM, although i also this may only be for apple stock SSD.. so me have to wait even longer fro TRIM to be implemented on third party SSDs - even more the reason to stick with sandforce controllers

hope this helps