Vertex 3 ssd is shortening battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by animboy, May 29, 2011.

1. animboy macrumors newbie

I have a standard 2.2ghz 2011 15inch macbook pro that i upgraded with a vertex 3 ssd. since then my battery life has been a sad 2.5-3 hours instead of the full 7 hours. after endless google searches it seems that this documented issue with the vertex 3 drive and that ocz is pretty uninterested in fixing the issue. I like the speed but the battery life issue is ridiculous. so I have 3 questions:

1. How many other people are having this issue is this across the board or sporadic?

2.has anyone found a fix?

3.if not, has anyone had similar problems with OWC drives they seem to have much better mac support and are just as fast as the vertex 3 perhaps i can jump ship on this ocz drive.

any guidance is appreciated and welcome thanks in advance

2. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

The newest firmware, 2.06, is supposed to fix specifically the drive's power-usage related issues.

4. animboy thread starter macrumors newbie

i am on firmware 2.02. i have read that the Firmware update on the 2011 macbook was impossible. I know the internet isn't always accurate but it would be nice to confirm that before i partition, install windows, update and delete. have you done this with a 2011 macbook? and which method is correct. i have seen talk of boot discs, running in virtual PC, real pc's, secondary drives, virgins blood and all sorts of strange methods and ingredients. Is there one true method?

5. animboy thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm I just saw your computer descriptions and it seems you both seem to have successfully done it. this is very exciting :)

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It's possible, but I haven't done it yet. I've tried a few times but can't get it to work. I may have to just install Windows on the SSD, flash it, then restore with Time Machine.

7. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Got 2 x Vertex 3s in mine, not noticed any difference.

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, the power draw from the Vertex 3 with the old firmware would maybe reduce your battery life by 20-30 mins tops. If you have having it cut in half there's another problem entirely that most likely has nothing to do with your choice of SSD.

9. animboy thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm ok well then i guess i will be doin some tests this evening to see whats goin on. a bit disturbing though...

10. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

ya, I understand... But, the increased power draw is less than 1 watt. Your laptop's battery is almost 80 watts so you can do the math to see there's no way you'll be loosing half that power in your SSD. Or, if you are it should be very hot!

11. animboy thread starter macrumors newbie

just to check.. what exactly is very hot.... because i just look at this thing is running at 263° F and that seems pretty hot to me.

12. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

I updated mine yesterday to 2.06. Took my drive out and connected it to a windows 7 pc. Job done in about 20 minutes. Not been able to test battery life yet.

13. animboy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok it seems the temp readings on i stat don't work with vertex's... that and my computer hasn't caught on fire... will continue to trouble shoot

14. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, 263f is about 51 degrees above boiling. It your hard drive was that hot you'd have a lot more problems. :)

Check your activity monitor for anything using a lot of resources. Also, check iStat for your CPU and GPU temps. Also, fan speeds being above 2-3,000 is a sign you've got something thats working your system harder than an idle.

You might also use Coconut Battery to check the health of your battery.

15. p1ngputts macrumors member

Will it be possible to eventually just update the software from the macbook pro?

16. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Maybe. That depends on OCZ spending the time to develop a proper firmware flashing tool. Also, there is an EFI issue where Apple has it blocked so its much harder than it would be on a PC. Thats why the PC tools don't work so well, even if you boot into Windows.

You have to remove it from the system so that the EFI doesn't block the access.

17. animboy thread starter macrumors newbie

So good news here. It seems that the power hog was the graphics card. I installed coconut battery and gfxCardStatus and found that it would switch the the big gfxcard every time I opened chrome. Now that i have switched to integrated card my battery life is up to 5 hours. I will do the vertex firmware update later on to win back my 20-30 min but for now I feel like i have proper battery usage again. thanks a lot folks, ya'll have been super helpful :)

18. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

No problem. I'm glad it was so easy to fix. Did you setup the dynamic switching for the video card? I have and I'm surprised how well it works. Plus, now I don't have to think about it.

19. animboy thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah that software gfxCardStatus lets me switch the cards manually. The integrated gfx card is not a bad at all and I only have to switch if i am doing heavy After effects work or 3d. its a bit like having a manual transmission.

20. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

Defo added a good 30-60 mins to my battery life since flashing to 2.06. Very glad I did it.

21. Bluethree macrumors regular

Bluethree

I suppose one of you lot has the Vertex 3 480 GB ? :eek:

22. animboy thread starter macrumors newbie

which method did you use? can i make a windows partition, toss the drive into an enclosure plugged to a PC and let the tool do its work or is it a more complicated procedure.

23. p1ngputts macrumors member

I'm guessing it's not possible to download the firmware update to a cd and then put it into the mbp?

24. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I finally got it working by using internal SATA connectors inside a desktop with Windows 7. At first it didn't work, b/c the desktop MUST use AHCI (a bios setting) and not IDE. When using a USB case, the drive wasn't recognized by the OCZ Toolbox.

I think you need at least one NTFS partition as well.

25. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Nope.