Vertex 3 SSD Review and my thoughts if it is possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keithano, Feb 27, 2011.

1. keithano macrumors member

Anyone read it yet?
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/27/oczs-consumer-grade-vertex-3-ssd-gets-benched-sandforce-sf-228/

It includes several review from some reputable websites.
    All in all, around 550mb/s read/write speed is impressive. However, as said in the article, SATA3 and Sandbridge is a must to utilize the performance.

I would like to ask, I just ordered the new 15" macbook pro with the $90 upgrade to 128gb SSD. My thought is to use that SSD, and wait until the new generation SSD comes out (like the Vertex 3). Then I would put the current 128gb SSD into the optical drive, as I heard that the optical drive is SATA 2. The I would buy a new generation SSD and throw it into the main drive (I heard is SATA 3). Is it possible to run like this?

Thanks for any input. I appreciate it.

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Maybe.

We don't know for sure if what is going to happen when you stick a Vertex 3 in, until somebody actually does it.

On paper, yes all that will work.

But I ain't countin chikins ;)

3. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Too bad I only have SATA I, I really want an SSD.

4. mdgm macrumors 6502a

You'll still see a good performance benefit from using a SSD. You'll just be limited to SATA I speeds.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I too am waiting for one of the SATAIII SF-2000 based drives. Several sites have tested the OCZ Vertex 3 as twice as fast as the current gen drives.

Hypothetically, your plan would work. I can't recall reading about anybody using a SSD main drive plus a SSD optibay drive, but I see no reason it would not work.