Vertex 3 vs. Corsair Force 3 120GB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Makaveli6103, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I just ordered an iMac and am going to add a SSD. These two have very similar speeds but am not sure which one to get. Any suggestions?

2. kucyk macrumors member

my suggestion is not to buy any SSD drive on the Sandforce chipset :D

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

...Because I do not like record breaking speeds and I believe all the FUD in forums.
    I would avoid the OCZ as they have double the return rate of any other Sandforce retailer. In percentage and volume. Not just cause they sell more.
    I have no issues with OWC. Some users have lots of issues. If you want the fastest get Sandforce, if you want the most stable get Intel. The rest are somewhere in between.

4. itsmrjon macrumors regular

I have yet to personally see an issue with the vertex 3... considering i have 3 myself, and there are an additional 5 at my work (all 240s) I honestly wonder about the reporting on this drive. I don't doubt sandforce drives have issues, I just doubt the way some individuals are reporting it.

But incase you want comparisons/benchmarks, check my prior thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1183918

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I agree. Just trying to give all data. Personally I don't worry about it. It is bad enough though in comparison to other SSD's to warrant a mention. 5% failure vs. 2.4% for industry and 0.5% for Intel. Luck of the draw still though. And those may be out of date numbers.

6. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I have OWC's Mercury Extreme Pro 3G and Mercury Extreme Pro 6G drive and have no issues. OWC is a fantastic retailer with responsive and considerate customer support. Not to mention an industry leading 5 year warranty. I also have three (3) OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPs. These systems are not perfectly stable, but I'm contending with 24/7 operation in Windows 7 x64 with RAM at 1866MHz and heavy disk activity. Not to mention that I have preview video card drivers, AHCI hack, beta WMC tuner drivers. When one of those systems goes down, its hard to honestly point the finger at OCZ.

7. itsmrjon macrumors regular

By any chance would you be gracious enough to do a side to side benchmark of the Vertex 3 vs the OWC's? I've been looking at those disks more and more because of their price, I'm just curious what the performance differences are.

8. thrasherx macrumors newbie