Vertex issues with uMBP 13 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxb, Jun 14, 2009.

?

Are you experiencing issues with OCZ Vertex and June MBP

Poll closed Jun 29, 2009.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. maxb macrumors member

maxb

I can't install OSX on my Vertex with my uMBP 13 inch I've bought last week... it's very frustating because it was working perfectly on my last gen uMB 2.4ghz...

Tried to downgrade to firmware 1.1 and it's still freezing...

did anyone with a Vertex has found how to install OSX on it with the new MBP...

2. Joruus macrumors member

3. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

Don't worry about it, your SATA I won't be able to handle it anyway. I would use your standard hard drive and use the SSD for something else. Maybe buy an external enclosure for it.

4. maxb thread starter macrumors member

maxb

That's what I'll be trying to do once I finished to install everything on the 250gb hitachi hdd...

5. zsnow macrumors regular

I have same problem but my is GSkill SSD.
    You have to install more times. While install i just move the mouse around and finally got through(might not useful, i just try not let the disk or sata controller went sleep mode).
    BTW: Installation of windows on bootcamp went very well. Windows runs no lock up issue. But I have lock up sometimes in Leopard. 10.5.7

I just sense that with the new long battery update, Apple tweaked the sata controller....

6. maxb thread starter macrumors member

maxb

Love your sense of humour...

7. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

Sorry.

8. maxb thread starter macrumors member

maxb

What I really don't understand is that OCZ is selling the Vertex Apple edition so it means that some non-geek customers with Apple Vertex will experience issues with their new MBP, just because of this, I feel that OCZ or Apple will have to fix the issue.

9. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

We will have to wait for more information from the SSD guys at OCZ. They should be able to tell us more about the current Sata on the new MBP's from Apple.

Maybe they will offer a firmware for us in their new SSD drives??

10. maxb thread starter macrumors member

maxb

no problem :cool:

11. SportyMac macrumors newbie

SportyMac

Gee, am I missing something here?!
    Whats that with the sata controller?
    Am I looking at trouble taking my Adate 300 series SSD from my late2008 into the new MB499?
    Greetz

12. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

There are many threads about it. The old now obsolete Macbook unibody 13 inch has SATA 2 3 gigabit, the new 13 inch Macbook Pro has SATA 1 1.5 gigabit, if you are fairly good at division you can tell the difference.

But to me its unknown if its a real issue and not some software thing. ???????????????????????

On your computer go to About this Mac and then more info then Serial ata, and check out your speed

13. SportyMac macrumors newbie

SportyMac

i`ll know by monday, taking and benchmarking my ase1064gsampl from Adata, though if i recall correctly apples sata is a firmware thinggy..
    greetz

14. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

Do it now :p

15. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

I am using a vertex 60GB in my new 13" umbp. Was not able to do a complete osx install, but was able to do a cut-down version after i removed some of the optional languages and printer drivers. After install, all seems to be well. I am hoping OCZ releases some kind of firmware update for this though.

16. SportyMac macrumors newbie

SportyMac

i wish i could! ups is only scheduled to deliver on monday...
    than again, my Adata is "only" R:158MB/s W::100MB/s, and that was already a major boost compared to the 160GB hdd in the old MB466

17. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Although the SSD won't be as fast as in the 3 gigabit SATA II, it will still be significantly faster than the standard HDD (4-5 times faster). The average user won't really notice the difference. Apple will probably fix the issue anyways.

18. maxb thread starter macrumors member

maxb

yeah, we should have some answers tomorrow on OCZ forums. Generally, they're offering great support

19. maxb thread starter macrumors member

maxb

Honestly, yes, I think it sucks that Apple is limiting the Vertez speed with Sata 1.5 but *at least, I'd like to be able to use the Vertex with my new MBP, because I know that, in real life experience, I won't really see any difference.

20. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

Why create the issue in the first place

21. maxb thread starter macrumors member

maxb

Looks like it's new Apple marketing strategy. When they first released the uMB firewireless, people were complaining. Now they released the uMBP 13 with firewire and people feels like if Apple is adding feature to the macbook line...

The craziest part is that it seems to be working because uMBP 13 are apparently selling like crazy.

22. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

I'm tempted to give my business to HP in the future

23. zsnow macrumors regular

I guess the apple or OCZ engineers doesn't have enough time to test this drive on the new uMBP yet. Apple always keeps the release info tight and might not send a test machine to OCZ before the release.
    In the end will hurt customers who try that first.

24. mrrippey macrumors regular

Hey zsnow, you have the exact config I am getting (next week my uMBP 13" should be in with 4GB). How you like it so far, how fast.

I will eventually set up 2x128 via optibay and have them in RAID 0 (I dont really use CD/DVD much) i will get an external.

25. zsnow macrumors regular

hi mrrippey.
    I didn't receive the 4G ram yet. Should receive last week but the UPS rescheduled the delivery to Monday.
    So i only can tell with the SSD. Loading everything is so fast. You basically can say everything is 2X faster on load. Startup leopard take 17sec. Firefox 4 sec....
    Only cons so far is freezing!! not a lot but around 1-2 times per day. I still didn't figure out what might cause the lock up. Sometimes it's freeze when i open an application. Sometimes it's when time machine doing backup.

I got several freeze when installing the Leopard or restore from time machine. But thanks GOD, i did it eventually.

I feel those lock up issue are due to the new SATA controller change.(3.0Gb->1.5Gb) since people saying previous uMB doesn't have this issue.

So for your advice if you install Leopard, first clone your HD and copy it over to your new SSD.