Vertical background striping in high-shutter-speed photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Prodo123, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I've been shooting a fountain with a 1/4000 shutter speed, and was bothered by the vertical striping visible on the background.
    [​IMG]
    It's not as visible as a thumbnail but when it's displayed full-screen on my 15" MBP it's very evident.
    Does anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it in Aperture? Thanks.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

If I'm seeing what you are seeing... and it may be an idea if you were to crop just one bit of vertical striping and post that so we know we are talking about the same thing... I would try a couple of things 1st.

We can't be sure what is causing it until we do the elimination thing. Take photos of basic neutral background, and duplicate the f/stop and shutter speed for this one. Do this with the background in and out of focus. Now, change the aperture and do the same thing. Now change the shutter speed and do the same thing. This will help to narrow it down to whether it's a focus thing, or a shutter thing. The aperture won't directly create stripes - but the degree of DoF it imparts may have an effect.

The thing is that it may be a RAW conversion thing. If you still have the RAW file (pre Aperture import) download Lightroom (30 day trial) and see if the artifacts appear there. If not, then it may be a RAW conversion algorithm thing.... recall that a RAW converter is demosaicing the sensor data. Or something like that.... I don't quite understand that one myself. But running it through a different RAW engine may produce different results.

Good Luck.

3. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I figured it out. It was from brightening underexposed spots in Aperture and how it deals with such areas.
    Maybe I'll just use the blur tool to brush it away.