Vertical Laptop Stand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shazammy, Jun 18, 2009.

1. shazammy macrumors member

I've been searching for a vertical laptop stand for awhile now, since I use my MacBook Pro and my Dell Inspiron both in clamshell mode and connected to the same monitor. There were some pricy options out there ranging from $40 to $300, and then I found the perfect solution at the thrift store today for $1.50: a napkin holder.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-4-In...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1245370437&sr=8-23

I bought one very similar to the one pictured here, and will be sanding it down and painting it black. It works extremely well as a vertical stand, and I'm getting a second for the Dell. Forget overpriced stands and repurpose something!

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

LOL seriously?

I don't think that is stable enough to hold your $$$ computer.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

You must not like your Mac or Insurance company very much, the Dell is another story though :rolleyes: Oh yeah, don't forget the two sided tape for the bottom of it so it won't get bumped off your desk. Hate to see such an engineering masterpiece have a flaw…

4. shazammy thread starter macrumors member

Have you people ever looked at a wooden napkin holder? I mean, seriously? The thing offers just as much support as the $40 vertical laptop stand I saw from this company (in person):

http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/macbook-docking-stand

Plus the napkin holder has a wider base. If you want to spend a ton of money on something useless, go right ahead, but this thing solved all the vertical mounting problems I had, and then some, for pennies. It's made of solid wood, and ain't going nowhere. I also sanded it and painted it today, and it looks like it was made to be a laptop stand. Woot! Now I have $38.50 to take to a baseball game and spend on overpriced drinks and nachos.

5. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

There's no way I would stick my MBP in that thing.... different strokes though I guess.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes I have seen a wooden napkin holder in person, my gram and I'm sure a few other peoples grandparents have had these at some point. But the point being while I do like wood things the base is made different such as smaller footpad and the way the wood sides are held in, there are three pieces and not one or even two and how deep are they anchored in and by what, glue? Really have you tested one other than just sliding in a laptop? I'm all for saving money but doing it when it's not going to possibly cost me something far greater is all I'm getting at.
    Not poking at you, just the unit itself since it was made for napkins which are far less smaller in size and weight and also cost a whole lot cheaper than any laptop.

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

8. shazammy thread starter macrumors member

Well, the base of this holder, which the MBP rests on, is 8" wide. The MBP itself is 14" wide, so by placing it in the middle it's extremely sturdy. The side are 5" wide, very thick, and provide more than enough support. It's been doing just fine on my desk, and short of a fairly large earthquake in Los Angeles, it's not going anywhere. What more testing do I need to do? Shoot it with a shotgun? Roll a bowling ball at it?

9. shazammy thread starter macrumors member

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well if it's the holder then yes but you may only get a single test run if you're a good shot but I can't agree to do the same with a MBP :p All I know is that some scanners had the old place me on my side holders just like you have shown here and even though they were made for such things, one bump to the desk and wham! Flat every time and a scanner is cheaper than a Mac that's all. I give you kudos for doing this it's just it didn't look/seem sturdy is all.
    Give some pics when your all done and let's see a new utilitarian type laptop holder.

12. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

1.) Expensive vertical stands are not useless.

2.) Pics please!!! I'm curious to how it looks on a desk.

13. piper827 macrumors newbie

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/214l4ZxHMeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    How about something like this?. You would need one a bit thicker, but I had two thoughts on it. Dremel out one side of two of them and they could be book ends. Perhaps for additional support for the napkin holder? Or you could just use one and put some wholes in it for some cable managemeent. I'm gonna start looking for holders and ill post pics if I make anything.
    Also you can by adhesive grip pads which could be put under the stand for friction on the desk. Or inside the napkin older for friction on the computer itself. Or both!
    Just some thoughts.

14. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha well i would make myself something thats for damn sure!!!

[​IMG]

lol or use my snow board rack =D

[​IMG]

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Throw some foam padding on the wood and you're good to go.

16. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

17. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

18. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

19. piper827 macrumors newbie

Alright well I aborted my plans to use a paper towel holder. I instead found this old book case with sliding book ends which works great.
    Yea that's my Gateway, but I'm sure that y'all's MPB's would work just as well.:D
    Cheers.

Attached Files: