Vertical Lines Appeared on MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Charlaux, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Charlaux macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a MBPr with me for almost 2 years,however yesterday I experienced a problem.When I opened my computer I started to experience 5 vertical lines,violet-violet-green-green to be exact.Can you give me some tips for what to do ? The Apple Genius means a 3 hour trip for me by bus so,I can't go directly to diagnose the problem.
    Thank you

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is there a diagnostic tool on a DVD or anything included in the new MBPs? I don't have one but if there is, run it. I think your GPU is having issues.

3. Charlaux thread starter macrumors member

I think so too,unfortunately I don't have it.Would Apple repair it for free since It is not my fault (haven't spilled something,just using generally the keyboard cleaner ),or how much should I prepare for myself to pay ?

Thank you

4. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

You're out of the 1 year included warranty, so unless you have AppleCare you'll have to pay out of pocket.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

However, they may actually do the repair depending upon how far out you are.

Take it in or send it in.

6. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

If you are in the EU you are still within warranty as its EU law.

The court forced them to actually say so on their website :
    http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

7. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

You can try running diagnostics by holding down 'd' while booting!

8. Charlaux thread starter macrumors member

I visited the Apple store genius bar and was told that the problem is in display and costs 400 £.They also said the problem was internal but not external and since I bought it from USA however I am now in UK I would not be eligible for consumer laws.What would you suggest me to do ? I know that I have to act sooner or later but when do you think It is the right time ? It so sad the problem is not caused by me but it is because of the resistance of display and I am obliged to pay a new MBPr retina price (USA price,If UK again a new computer would cost 4 new displays)
    Thank you

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say you have a choice of buying a new rMBP for a lot of money or pay of the repair at £400. I'd opt for the repair

10. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

I guess they have something called as flat rate repairs you could try that. Do you have any warranty provided by your credit card in case you purchased it via card. Other wise if the issue is alot go in for the repair and do remember to get apple care next time saves a lot of money.