Vertical lines - HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laughingboy34, Apr 15, 2012.

1. laughingboy34 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Today out of nowhere the start up screen of my Mac Pro OS X goes to this (see image). :confused: Any ideas? I'm an absolute novice when it comes to fixing macs. I tried cleaning the inside, thinking it had overheated, but turning it off for that long only helped for a few minutes, long enough to get onto the desktop, before the lines reappeared and made using the mouse impossible. Please help!

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you worried about the lines or the kernel panic? Do the lines appear when you're up and running, or only on the kernel panic screen?

3. laughingboy34, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

laughingboy34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd say both. Are the lines causing the kernel panic? Just assume I know nothing about computers at this point, because I don't know anything about macs. I actually had to look up what "kernel panic" meant.

The lines first appeared when I was web surfing. Then when I tried to reboot, that screen showed up with the lines. I opened it up, cleaned, and restarted. Was able to get to the desktop again before the lines showed up and prevented me from backing up anything. Reboot, and there was that screen again.

I have tried to safe boot as well, but the kernel panic shows up before the boot can commence. :mad:

4. Damo01 macrumors regular

could be one of your hardware that has gone faulty like your video/graphic card. Probably need replacing by going to to a genius bar at your nearest apple retail store.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For the vertical lines issue, take it to Apple so they can check to see if your logic board needs to be replaced.
    "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)
    Mac OS X 10.7 Help: If “You need to restart your computer” appears
    Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
    Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics
    Resolving Kernel Panics