Vertical lines in display after wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by user843, Feb 4, 2014.

1. user843 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro 15" (2012) with an i7 and 16 GB RAM (non-Retina). Recently I have noticed that when I wake my mac from sleep the display often has pink vertical lines through the display when displaying white sections (like text boxes). When I close the screen and reopen they are sometimes gone, though a reboot always seems to fix the issue. I have also noticed a distortion of images as well as horizontal lines across the display, again, after waking my mac from sleep mode. Rebooting the laptop always seems to fix the issue.

My MBP is out of warranty and I am afraid this is a problem with the main board or graphics card. I am more than disappointed that an expensive machine like this (paid $2500) is having these issues 6 months out of the one year warranty. Any thoughts on what the problem might be? :confused:

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Did you tried forcing using only the iGPU? If the issue doesn't appear anymore, it can have something to do with the dGPU.

3. user843 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. How does one switch to using the integrated graphics card only instead of the dedicated graphics card?

4. rank novice macrumors newbie

LVDS connector on MB?

Same exact problem. Traced it to an intermittent problem with LVDS motherboard connector / cable on my MBP 15" 2010. can make it come and go by flexing the bottom of the case (which rocks the MB LVDS connector inside).

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In About This Mac → More Info, is it a mid-2012 or a late-2011? If it's a late-2011 (it was sold in Q1 2012 as well), Radeongate has hit your MBP.

All 15"/17" early/late-2011 MBPs have a serious manufacturing flaw that will guarantee Radeongate striking the MBP sooner or later.