Vertical lines no images?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by marrzie, Sep 28, 2012.

1. marrzie macrumors regular

Mid 2011 air just as I was sending a web form it instantly went from normal view to a bunch of different colored vertical lines. The lines seem to represent whatever color is currently on the display but you cant see any images or make out anything, just a bunch of vertical lines. I reset pram and smc and nothing. When restarting it goes to gray screen no apple logo just 2 thicker vertical lines representing my 2 login icons so. Have to click around a lot to get lucky to hit one so i can blindly type in my password to login.
    Not sure what to do here. Just out of warranty too. Everything is up to date running mountain lion 10.8.2 i think. Maybe i can go buy an external display adapter to see if it works on external display. No apple stores in sweden that i can get to either without 8 hour trip anyways. Please help thanks. :(

2. emoose macrumors newbie

I had the EXACT same thing happen to my 2011 macbook air.

The bad news is to fix it I had to take it to the applestore and get the screen replaced. I was under applecare and they did in the same day.

The only good news is when it happened to me I was able to use my HDMI external adapter and use the laptop on an external display. I did this to back up my machine and as a crutch before I could get to the apple store.

You should call apple support and open a support ticket even though you are out of warrenty. Sometimes if you are just a few days out the will make an exception. Its a longshot though.

3. marrzie thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cool. I did just buy a mdp to vga adapter and it did display extended desktop on the external while still showing lines on the macbook itself. How can I make it use external only via keyboard shortcuts since I cannot see the dock on the external? Thanks for the reply.