Vertical lines on imac display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by supermac96, Nov 10, 2010.

1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Hi I have a bad problem. I have these vertical lines on my Imac display. Its a Mac OSX 10.4.11. Anyone know if theres a way to fix this? thanks.

2. happymac10, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

happymac10 macrumors newbie

happymac10

Here's what to do about the vertical lines issue

I just dealt with this problem and I GOT APPLE TO PAY FOR THE REPAIR!!

First, see if your imac is from the W8 factory in Shangai China. You can do this by going to Chipmunk International and entering the serial # of your imac. Apple KNOWS there is a defect in imacs from this factory...you just have to "remind" the Apple support person you speak to about this defect!! I bought my imac January 2007. I did not purchase any extended warranty. Through my own research, reading different forums, including the ones on the Apple website, I got all the proof I needed that even though my imac was way our of warranty, there were vertical lines on my screen because of a factory defect.

Call Apple support Express Lane. Arrange to have a tech support person call you if you don't want to hold on a long time. Tell the tech person to give a look at Apple support thread ID 1146388. Explain that your imac comes from W8 factory, give him or her your serial number and GET A CASE NUMBER from the tech. Then ask where your nearest Apple store or authroized Apple repair shop is. There is no Apple store within an hour's drive of my house but my tech person gave me the contact info for an authorized repair shop about an hour and fifteen minutes away. I called the shop, explained the vertical lines problem, gave them my case number. I brought my imac to them, along with printouts of posts and links regarding this issue with imacs. They called me the next day and said Apple issued a Customer Satisfaction code to repair my imac for free. I got a new display - no more vertical lines - and the repair dudes got a box of Italian bakery cannolis from me :)
    My family buys Apple products because we expect superior quality and we also expect superior customer service when needed. Apple came through for moi !!

3. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

i will look in to this. thanks for the help!

4. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

I have been doing a lot of research for proof and getting ready to call apple! my imac was made in that factory! could you send me the links to the papers you used to help apple "remember" about the problem?

5. happymac10, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

happymac10 macrumors newbie

happymac10

Here's the link

SORRY I didn't get back to you sooner but just saw your last post...this is the Apple forum I mentioned. You can select a few to print (the ones that say they got their imacs fixed for FREE because it's a factory defect) And you can also use my post when you talk to an Apple support tech about getting yours fixed for FREE.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1146388&tstart=0

6. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

allright thanks!

7. jimminyebay macrumors newbie

Apple secret Repair Extension Program

I spoke to a US EDU Apple Care rep today that told me there is a Repair Extension Program for the 17" iMac's. When I told him it was nowhere to be found on the Service Source Website he said that it was an Apple internal program and that it was called "EM80". He said I should have no problem getting my repair covered at our local service provider site. I have a Apple Care case number now and will be sending in at least 8 of these for repair to said service provider. It only makes sense that Apple is attempting to avoid covering these if it can, otherwise there would have been an official Repair Extension Program published. There are also parties that have filed a class action lawsuit regarding this issue.

Hope this info helps someone get their mac fixed.

8. BigEliz, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

BigEliz macrumors newbie

Thanks, supermac96!

My early 2006 W8 iMac is also suffering from the vertical lines problem. Thanks to forums such as this one I feel confident I can get it repaired by Mac without charge. I just wanted to say thanks to happymac10 (sorry, was getting the two of you muddled!) for citing the Chipmunks International site. Brilliant! It gives me added confidence to know exactly when and where my iMac was made (January 2006, W8 Shanghai) - the source of the faulty displays! My appointment at the Genius Bar is Friday. Wish me luck!

Cheers, BigEliz

Oops sorry - mixing up names. Thanks go to happymac10! Sorry!

9. BigEliz macrumors newbie

Vertical Lines problem fixed

Mac provided exceptional service in resolving this issue. They made it seem like they were doing me a big favour (said there had been a Repair Extension Program but that it had finished, but they would still repair mine for free), but the truth is they didn't require me to argue my right to the repair being done - they offered it. And, they did the repair exceptionally quickly too. I was dreading the kind of poor service we get so used to nowadays (in the UK anyway), especially as it wasn't profitable for them, but I was staggered by how efficient, professional, friendly and unpatronising were most of the staff I came into contact with. So, thanks to all the people on both Mac forums I visited in an effort to unravel the story and pursue the repair. I will be able to keep my 5-year-old iMac running 2 or three more years at least, I hope!

with thanks again,
    Big Eliz

10. schnieee macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have the same problem with my imac and found this thread. Mine is also from Shanghai and now i want to try to get a free repair.
    Did you just go to an offical apple store or is it better to contact Apple Service directly via email/phone?
    Thank you very much for your help and i am so glad i found this!

11. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

Sorry to raise this old thread, but are ALL 2006 iMacs with these problems or just the ones from the "W8" China factory?