Vertical Lines on Macbook Pro 13" Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brohavok, Jul 23, 2013.

1. brohavok macrumors newbie

After 5 years of using an HP, I decided to switch over to Apple this past May. I bought my Macbook Pro 13" with a retina display about 8 weeks ago. Everything has been working great up until today I opened up my laptop and found vertical lines spanning from the top to the bottom of the screen. Ever since I bought this laptop I have been extremely cautious with it - I have never dropped it or have I exerted force on the laptop its self. It was working fine literally 3 hours ago. When I take a screen shot the vertical lines are not present. Also, when I connect my macbook to my TV via HDMI there are no vertical lines present on my TV. At least to my knowledge this cannot be an accidental mistake so I'm hoping that I can get this resolved. I called Apple Support and they said that since I purchased it 8 weeks ago and there are no screen cracks, it should be covered by the 1 year manufacturers warranty. I have an appointment at the Apple Store on Thursday. Has this happened to anyone else? P.S. The right side of the screen still functions and works it just looks like its a cosmetic issue.
    [​IMG]

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Nothing you can really do but take it to Apple, either a gpu issue or a actual display.

3. brohavok thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got home hoping that maybe it went away, but no. The screen has progressively gotten worse. The vertical lines doubled in width and now the bottom of the screen keeps flickering - it's like a mirrored image of the rest of the screen, don't really know how else to explain it. Anyone know why this is happening? It's 8 weeks since I've had it and in my experience with laptops and desktops I've never seen this. No cracks so I hope that Apple rules out accidental and it gets covered by the warranty.
    [​IMG]

Any input would be much appreciated!

4. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

just take it to apple end of story or read the 1st reply.

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I might need coffee, but I notice the vertical lines more in the first picture. Did you make your Genius appointment yet?

6. brohavok thread starter macrumors newbie

In the second picture they're spaced more closely together and do in fact take up more of the screen. What worries me is that the bottom of the screen is flickering now and mirroring the top part of my screen. And to answer your question I do have a Genius appointment tomorrow at 7:45pm CST, I was just curious if this has ever happened to anybody else.

-B

7. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about arming yourself with ammo for tomorrow. The Apple store people I've dealt with have all been great, and the company is known for great customer service. You clearly have a problem with this MacBook, and I'd guess you'll be pleasantly surprised when they don't blame you....unless you did spill as cup of coffee onto the keyboard. :D They know when it's a manufacturing defect, so stay calm and let us know what happens tomorrow night. ;)

8. cocoswansea macrumors newbie

Same Issue

@Brohavek

I'm curious to know what the diagnosis was in the end. My screen's just like this and I've been using my macbook with an external display(the black part with vertical lines disappear).

9. kishand1 macrumors newbie

Whats the verdict? Im in the same position. Is this a common occurrence with the screens?

10. mjkwak20 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem

I am using MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2012. I was rebooting the computer, and after when it turned on there were vertical lines starting from the bottom of screen. I got the same issue last year. I am very frustrated about it because it cost me more than 1000$ to fix them.

11. rohithbasu macrumors newbie

verdict ?

just curious, any updates on what apple said or did when u took it in ?
    i have the same thing happening with my 15 inch retina macbook and i have a genius appointment tomorrow

12. MikeAM91 macrumors newbie

Any update on what the cause of this issue is? I'm having the same problem.

13. xsdeus macrumors regular

There are integrated circuits on film that "drive" the display. There are several near the hinge of the display. I think the one nearest to the right is defective. You can tell that it's damage to either the IC or the film itself, since if it's a panel-related damage, it usually shows up as a single line.

Either way, if your computer is under warranty, Apple will replace it without question. If it is out-of-warranty, well, then I'm sorry that you will be spending $300~400 to replace your display.