Vertical macbook sleeves?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roisin and mac, May 10, 2011.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

I'm sick of looking for a backpack with a built-in padded laptop sleeve - I just can't seem to find one that ticks all the boxes :p

So I'm thinking of just giving up, and getting a vertical (aka top-loading) sleeve to go in any damn backpack I take a shine to. Bonus: I can actually use the backpack even when I'm not taking the laptop along (gotta love a multi-functional!)

Now I want to round up a list of as many top-loading sleeves as possible, so I can make an informed choice lol. What cases can you think of that are:
    - solidly, even copiously padded (I want tp be able to use it even with a flimsy canvas tote if I want :)
    - vertical (the laptop goes in from the narrow side)
    and
    - big enough to fit my late '07 macbook with macally bookshell case on?

I already know of two from google searches: the Waterfield SleeveCaseand the Brenthaven Trek Sleeve Any others y'all can think of?

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Can't add any other options I'm afraid.

However I do own a vertical WaterField SleeveCase for my 17" MBP.
    As much like you, I wanted a case to use inside a backpack.
    It is very solidly constructed and the padding is good.

If you do decide to buy one, I would recommend adding at-least the D-rings as they are only an extra $5, then plus your own strap (or you can buy one with it) you have the option of easily carrying the case on it's own. I also find it easier to remove the case from my backpack by grabbing the D-rings.

I also ordered mine with the flap for some added protection.

The case is quite a tight fit at-least for mine, so I would contact them first to make sure you get the right size if that macally bookshell case adds any extra bulk.

3. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

aha! thanks for the heads-up on the fit :) I'm so glad you decided to post that because it really would have been a bummer to find out the hard way :p The macally doesn't add more than a couple mm all around, but if it's a tight fit, even those could be 2mm too many ;)

And yes, I thought the d-rings were a must too, especially since unlike the extra strap or the little accessory pouch they sell, you can't just buy them later if you change your mind. And it'd be dumb to get stingy over just five bucks :)

One other question, if you're not sick of me lol: about the flap. I like the streamlined look that comes with not having a flap - you can just pull the laptop out of the sleeve without having to remove the entire case from the bag first - but I realize that sometimes a flap might be useful or even necessary; for instance, if I'm caught out in the rain and using this inside a canvas bag :p One idea would be to get the flap, but keep it tucked back most of the time to make access to the laptop quicker. Do you think that would work, or is the flap too rigid to stay put like that?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Well lets say I need to use the hook on the bottom to easily remove the laptop, and it's tight enough that I can hold it upside down and my (not that lightweight) 17" MBP stays in place or slides very slowly out. I don't know what the fit is like for the other sized laptops and cases though. With the fit of the one I have you may be able to get away with a couple of mm.

The flap is not that rigid, it's quite flexible. I've taken some photos of mine, where you can see the flap both open and folded into the back pocket. I don't think keeping it tucked back would be an issue.

Attached Files:

6. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, these are cute :) They don't seem terribly solidly padded though, do they? I get the feeling they wouldn't offer enough protection with a bag that is completely floppy, like a canvas totebag type of thing. Do you have any experience with them?

*whistles admiratively* wow, this has to be one of the most complete replies I've had to a question I've posted online - ever! Thanks so much for taking the trouble to upload all those great photos :)

It does sound like the fit is super tight! Honestly, I'd probably scrape my knuckles trying to put it in lol. It sounds like this is definitely something I need to clarify with them before buying the sleeve, and now I also know I'd need to make it clear that I DO want some wiggle room. Ideally, I want to be able to haul out the (macally-covered) macbook from the sleeve, with the sleeve still sitting in the bag (I'd probably add a bit of velcro to the bottom of the sleeve and to the bottom of the bag so it wouldn't lift up when I do that).

So wait, the flap is so thin/flexible it can be tucked all the way inside the pocket?! I mean, it sure looks like it on the first picture...? 'Cause in that case, it's problem solved - the flap stays out of the way when you don't need it, but is there for those rainy days :p