Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fillyourboots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
Hi,

I have a mid-2010, 15" Macbook Pro, and have just recently started to experience an issue with these very thin, vertical pink lines appearing on the screen.

At first, the lines only seemed to appear when pressure was applied to the upper-left area (toward screen) of the bottom case, or around the left-speaker area on top, but now the problem seems to have reversed itself, in that pressure to that region now clears the pink lines. In other words, when the machine is resting on a tabletop, the lines appear, but if I pick it up, they disappear.

Thus far, while certainly annoying, the problem hasn't impeded me from using the machine, but I'm concerned the problem will only get worse from here if not addressed.

Is this more likely to be a problem with the LCD screen itself, or perhaps a connection on the logic board?

My technical knowledge of the inner workings of the macbook is pretty limited, so any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much,
FYB

L0rdV8r

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
This is usually a defect in the LCD screen itself. If you have AppleCare i would recommend getting in touch with Support. If your Out of Warranty and its livable i would ignore it. Ive not replaced the screen on a portable yet so I'm not sure how invasive it is or if its even possible

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
It's the display cable, the connector for the display cable on the display end, or the connector for the display cable on the logic board end, or a combination of one or more of those.

Start with replacing the cable, as it's the cheapest of those options. iFixit.com has part numbers and guides for it.

If it's the connection point on either end, then the affected component will need to be replaced (display or logic board (or both I guess, but unlikely.))

fillyourboots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the insight.

I was especially curious about the way applying pressure to certain spots on the machine seems to make the problem go away, albeit temporarily.

Does that point more to one possibility than an other? For instance, would that be more symptomatic of a bad display cable rather than the lcd itself?

Regardless, I think I'll start with an investigation of the display cable and go from there.

Thanks again for the support.

YanickDev

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
For who is interested.. I found a free fix which is f.lux in Movie Mode. As simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.