Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CurtisAnderson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2024
IMG_3157.jpeg
So I recently removed my screen from my iMac Pro 2017 to replace some parts. When I hooked up the display again I had these vertical lines (white, green, purple, red). It’s in one specific area of the screen. I have attached a picture below. I really don’t want to have to buy a replacement screen.. does anyone know if this is repairable??

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
View attachment 2336918 So I recently removed my screen from my iMac Pro 2017 to replace some parts. When I hooked up the display again I had these vertical lines (white, green, purple, red). It’s in one specific area of the screen. I have attached a picture below. I really don’t want to have to buy a replacement screen.. does anyone know if this is repairable??
The matrix cable is broken. There is no point in repair. Buy a new matrix cable and replace it. Self-repair of the loop will lead in the future to even more problems-from artifacts to falling off.
Yes, this screen artifact can be caused by a loose loop connector. It is necessary to connect the cable carefully and all the way through.
Why disassemble it if there is no experience?

Last edited:
Reactions: CurtisAnderson

CurtisAnderson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2024
The matrix cable is broken. There is no point in repair. Buy a new matrix cable and replace it. Self-repair of the loop will lead in the future to even more problems-from artifacts to falling off
Thank you! Do you know which one the matrix cable is? I’m searching online but both cables pop up

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
Thank you! Do you know which one the matrix cable is? I’m searching online but both cables pop up
If the parts finder doesn't lie, it's the part with the index "LVDS Matrix Loop for iMac Pro 27 5K A1862 (Late 2017)". It is better to check with the repairmen, they will install it in place - you will not be liable if you buy a defective cable.

CurtisAnderson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2024
If the parts finder doesn't lie, it's the part with the index "LVDS Matrix Loop for iMac Pro 27 5K A1862 (Late 2017)". It is better to check with the repairmen, they will install it in place - you will not be liable if you buy a defective cable.
So I had also bought a conversion board to possibly convert this into a DIY studio display. It has its own display cables, and I thought I’d trouble shoot by hooking that up first, before ordering the cable. Unfortunately the display has the same issue.. I’m starting to wonder if it’s the cable, entire display, or maybe the connector on the back of display? I’m totally stumped. I live in a small rural town so there’s not much for computer repair places nearby

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
So I had also bought a conversion board to possibly convert this into a DIY studio display. It has its own display cables, and I thought I’d trouble shoot by hooking that up first, before ordering the cable. Unfortunately the display has the same issue.. I’m starting to wonder if it’s the cable, entire display, or maybe the connector on the back of display? I’m totally stumped. I live in a small rural town so there’s not much for computer repair places nearby
It may be that the defective board came with a broken track. It happens that the stubs come broken. You can make a jumper and run it as an extension through the common line of the loop. This is a temporary solution, as artifacts will appear in the future, there may be a break. The most difficult thing is to bare the loop, remove the mask and glue from it. You need a microscope. Then solder them in a neutral place with overlapping and gluing. Tin solder won't hold. Oxidation+small drop will not hold mass. You will also have to check after soldering the tracks for short circuits. Multimeter to help :)
And why make a studio display? It's a waste of time. It's easier to buy a new, high-quality, stylish monitor from another company.

Last edited:

CurtisAnderson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2024
It may be that the defective board came with a broken track. It happens that the stubs come broken. You can make a jumper and run it as an extension through the common line of the loop. This is a temporary solution, as artifacts will appear in the future, there may be a break. The most difficult thing is to bare the loop, remove the mask and glue from it. You need a microscope. Then solder them in a neutral place with overlapping and gluing. Tin solder won't hold. Oxidation+small drop will not hold mass. You will also have to check after soldering the tracks for short circuits. Multimeter to help :)
And why make a studio display? It's a waste of time. It's easier to buy a new, high-quality, stylish monitor from another company.
Dang that’s getting far too technical for me 😅 so, I have an iMac Pro and had the opportunity to pickup a second one with a couple defective parts, but mostly functional, and for very cheap. I had seen Luke Miani’s DIY Studio Display (on a standard 5k iMac 27” not Pro), and I thought it would look awesome having two matching displays for the setup. I know, certainly not the “easiest” option, but this conversion board was $150 and the iMac was $500. (CAD) so much cheaper than the $2000 studio display, and the matching is kinda cool 😎 but first I figured I’d try and fix up the iMac Pro and see if I can get a second working machine.

It seems as both the original cables, and the cables in this conversion kit cause the issue. If I understand you correctly, it’s the cable that loops around the perimeter of the screen, flat, black, and glued down or something? Not sure if this is something I can send away for repair, as the soldering is a no go for me lol.

Maybe a new screen would be the best way forward? Still much cheaper than a new display, and again, I realllly like the matching lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.