Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

connman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Howdy. Long time lurker with no knowledge to help anyone. :)

Despite careful handling, a strange vertical scratch/abrasion has appeared on the edge of my 3GS's bezel, right close to the actual screen. It's not too big but right in view. If it was anywhere else, I'd use high grit sandpaper to sand it out. But being so close to the LCD, I'd be concerned about grit coming off the paper and lodging between bezel and LCD.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

rattleglans

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Should work. If you're worried about grit coming off into it I heard brasso or commercial plastic cleaner works as well. (and even toothpaste but I wouldn't do that :rolleyes: )

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Should work. If you're worried about grit coming off into it I heard brasso or commercial plastic cleaner works as well. (and even toothpaste but I wouldn't do that :rolleyes: )

Toothpaste did not work for me...

Sometimes the antiglare screen protector will hide scratches.

rattleglans

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
anyways, if it's not on the actual screen you're better off just leaving it there. Shouldn't be much of a bother.

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
anyways, if it's not on the actual screen you're better off just leaving it there. Shouldn't be much of a bother.

agreed you are going to cause more harm than good

The fact that you came and posted in this forum says that you do not have the correct tools to polish metals

IF you had the right tools you COULD polish the scratch out, but right now you are going to spend more money repairing a tiny scratch then what you are going to get in the resale value.

connman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Thanks for all of the advice. Ultimately, I did buy some 1500 grit sandpaper from a hardware store and lightly and carefully rubbed it against the vertical scratch. I angled the phone so that there was no way the sandpaper could touch the screen. The scratch is now all gone.

Not only that, but I used the sandpaper on the sharp edge where the chrome bezel meets the back casing on the right side of my iPhone and the sharp edge is gone too.

Anyone reading this and following suit should just be warned that it should be done very lightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.