Vertical stand for MacBook Pro Unibody 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monty77, Aug 13, 2009.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502a

So far I've found 2 options:

- The insanely priced Balmuda (seriously, who buys this stuff?)
    - The much more reasonable PowerSupport stand

..not sure if PS ship to UK though, have emailed to ask.

Any other alternatives out there? Right now it's sitting on a box under the desk, not cool.

Cheers,
    Monty

2. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very nice but I'm after something it can sit in (while in clamshell mode) out of the way - preferably under the desk.

Cheers,
    Monty

3. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

I just bought the Deskstandz version for the MBP. I get it tomorrow and Ill post up some pics in a new thread.

4. auhlixer macrumors regular

5. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

I may get this its only $29.00

Attached Files:

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

This would be appealing to me. However, a lot of internal heat is dissipated through the keyboard and the vents above the speakers.

I run photoshop, illustrator, indesign, and dreamweaver together all day every day, so I'd imagine that keeping the lid closed would increase internal temps exponentially.

8. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

^ I run mine with the lid closed all day and it's fine. I don't know where the air intake comes from, but I feel the fans blowing out the back just fine.
    Tests done by some users here show no affect on operating temperatures whether open or closed.

What I want to know, is how do you turn on the laptop when it's in the stand? Don't you still have to press the power button INSIDE the shell? I don't like having mine 'sleep' all the time and shut it down every night, or when I'm not using it for a while.
    I like that book arc thing. It's cool.

9. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

This one is so awesome! I am glad I found this thread because I really wanted a vertical stand but as the OP said the Floater is just too damn expensive! This is still a little expensive for a simple stand which appears to be made of plastic (not sure though), but it is a whole lot cheaper than the Floater and still looks very nice. I am definitely about to buy this to use with my MBP and LED Display.

EDIT: After looking at the tech specs it weighs 1.2lbs which is kinda heavy for something that small so I'm actually thinking it might be aluminum.

Thanks NikFinn and cherry su for the links to this stand :D:D

10. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

No problem, I just saw it at the store the other day. And I didn't even realize cherry su posted the same thing haha

11. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

I have this. Got it today, no need to post pics now. It is awesome. Sweet modern look. Holds the MBP securely and it stays super cool. Recommended by me.

12. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

^ I don't like how it holds the MBP upside down. Kind of whack.

13. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Which one are you talking about? It could go either way in the BookArc.

14. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yes, but from the looks of it, if the Apple were right-side-up, then you'd be blocking the MagSafe port, which would cause other problems. ;)

16. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

Indeed. Sharp crowd here :rolleyes:
    I don't like the look of it either. Looks like someone took an S on your desk and jammed a MBP in it. I don't care what's stuck on top of it, a piece of S is still S.:cool:

17. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but if you had it upside down, the only vent would be pointed downwards, which would cause even more problems.

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, looking at the picture S-Man posted, the vent is indeed pointing up, and the Apple (on the lid) is upside down. I think that you and I agree that the orientation is fine the way it is in the picture, so as to provide access to the magsafe and proper ventilation. But it also seems to me that there is a gap on the stand to allow at least some airflow.

19. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

yeah, I'm sure it doesn't matter if the vent is pointed up or down, as long as there's space between the desk and the vent (if it's pointed down), there'll be plenty of airflow.
    I'm still curious of where the intake vents are. Some say on the keyboard, but I don't think so. I work in clamshell mode all the time, AND I have a moshi clearguard on my keyboard, so it's got to come from somewhere...

20. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

I kinda don't see a reason to have a stand for a closed macbook pro... :confused:

21. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

^ It gets it outta the way when on your desk. Instead of taking up approximately 1.5 sq. ft. of space on your desk, you can stand it up against the wall or somewhere out of the way. Thus leaving more space to work on your desk.