Vertical Stripe on Display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sfkickz, Apr 28, 2010.

  1. sfkickz macrumors newbie

    Mar 9, 2010
    So, my late 2008 aluminum Macbook has been giving me some issues. At first, the display basically conked out on me so I had to get that replaced. Then about a week after it got replaced, it looked like some sort of liquid had oozed out of the display. It was basically between the LCD screen and the glass display. I pressed on it a couple times with my thumb and it went away. Then yesterday, the liquid came back. This time pressing didn't help. Then late last night, this vertical line of static came up and it wont go away.

    Here is a picture of the liquid stuff. It's not great because I can only see it when the screen is off because the vertical stripe is on top of the liquid stuff. Its kinda hard to see, but it looks like oil on the inside of the screen.


    Here's a video of the stripe.
  2. sfkickz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 9, 2010
  3. Pax macrumors 6502a

    Dec 12, 2003
    I suspect your LCD panel is toast

    Most likely the liquid is the actual liquid inside the crystal display (the L in LCD). This is a thick viscous liquid. If it's leaking the display won't work

    And the vertical band you are seeing is probably the result of the electrodes at the edge of the panel short circuiting. It's unlikely that anything inside the body of the Mac or the cable could cause a band like this.

    I think another panel replacement would fix this. My suspicion is that the replacement you just had was defective to begin with, or was handled badly during installation.

    Best of luck

Share This Page