Vertical Stripes on Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aswm, Jun 2, 2010.

1. aswm macrumors newbie

Hello. My 30" Cinema Display started showing vertical lines, almost pinstripes, across the monitor today. Some have a green, some a magenta, and some a yellow hue. Some of the vertical lines are grouped together in bands.

Rebooting and messing with display preferences did not seem to resolve it.

Pictures are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58405949@N00/

The problem occurred both on my Mac Pro and a new Mac Mini so I know it is not the videocard in the Pro.

This morning the lines were gone through no action of mine.

Please help give me guidance on what is going on or what is coming down the pike.

Andrew

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Is there any Applecare left on the monitor? Your best bet would be to bring it in to Apple and have them inspect and replace the monitor, as it seems to be failing.

3. aswm thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Care

No, unfortunately, out of warranty. I was hoping someone might be able to say it is the video cable or perhaps the power supply before I try to replace those. I guess I can truck it to Apple and see what they say ... A lot of physical work to be told it is dying. :)

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

It is highly unlikely that this issue is power related. It's most likely a severed connection on one of the wires in your display signal cable or the GPU.

5. aswm thread starter macrumors newbie

Healing?

Hi and thanks to both responders. The monitor magically returned to normal after being on for about six hours. Odd. I didn't move anything. Could this be intermittent from this point on? What does that indicate? Yikes.

6. CooperCologne macrumors newbie

I had the same effect today with my Mac Pro and 30" CD. After a while it went away too, did it return with your Cinema Display? First I thought it would be the graphics adapter, but after switching it remained the same!

7. DarrenManigault macrumors newbie

I guess their is something wrong with the hardware. Either reset tour hardware or reinstall its drivers manualy from the manual.