Vertical yellow line on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nikklaus, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Nikklaus macrumors member

Yep, so I came home today from a week away in Amsterdam to a faulty new MBP. I'm so angry having paid £1700 on a new laptop to discover a problem with it so soon. I tried restarting it and changing over the graphics card but its still there, just one pixel wide on the right hand side of my screen.

Are there any fixes for it or will I literally just have to send it back?

Thanks

EDIT: Also noticed that the backlight seems to be randomly dimming and brightening on its own? I fiddled around with some energy saving settings but I think it's still happening! :( arghhhh

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd send it back immediately. Sounds defective.

3. Nikklaus thread starter macrumors member

How would I go about doing that? The UK customer service lines are closed so I guess I'll phone again in the morning...

4. shiato storm macrumors member

don't fret. have a drink and chill this evening, tomorrow take it to an apple store. they all love macs so anything weird like that would probably mean instant change for a fresh one...

5. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

The brightness is supposed to change on its own. It is a "feature" of the pros, where it will adjust the display brightness and keyboard brightness according to how light or dark the room is. I would imagine there is a place to turn this off, but I like this feature, so I never hunted around.

Definitely get it exchanged though, they should do that 100% no problems for a yellow line in the screen.

6. Nikklaus thread starter macrumors member

I bought this off the apple education store, so would I still be able to exchange it in an apple store? I live in the UK.

7. James17 macrumors 6502

No, it needs to be through the online team so you will have to wait until it's open again. Online and Retail are two different sectors of Apple's business.