Verus vs. Spigen

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by volntitan, Sep 16, 2014.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

So seems like these 2 are pretty popular. The Iron Shield vs. the Neo Hybrid. Has anyone compared the 2? Wondering what the big difference is btwn them especially in terms of build quality while still maintaining the protection.

2. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Spigen (SGP) has been around for a long time. Not sure about other company. Looks like a knock-off

3. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks...I've seen folks talk about "scratches" with Spigen. Are they talking on the phone or on the back plate of the case? I like the solid look of the Neo Hybrid, but like the thought of a metal bumper with the Neo Hybrid Metal...but it has an Apple cutout, which still deciding if I like or not. Hopefully the back is "grip" enough.

4. BDoggPrelude macrumors regular

BDoggPrelude

Spigen and Verus have to be the same company. At the very least, the two use the same production company. Just compare their iPhone 6 cases:

Verus:
    http://veruscase.com/device/iphone-cases/iphone-6-4-7.html?___SID=U

Spigen:
    http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6.html

Case Iron = Ultra Hybrid
    Iron Shield = Neo Hybrid Metal
    Pound Series = Slim Armor
    Super Slim = Thin Fit

Yes, there are slight tweaks in the similar cases. Yes, they each have their own exclusive cases that the other one does not have a version of. The similarities between the above cases are too strong to not be some sort of cooperation between the two companies. The interchangeable bezels is a dead giveaway.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I think it's more that Verus is just a Spigen knockoff. I've never even heard of Verus. But Spigen is well established.

6. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone compared the Neo Hybrid vs. the Neo Hybrid Metal? Just wondering pros/cons if any on each.

7. BDoggPrelude macrumors regular

BDoggPrelude

I don't know about that. Spigen announced their iPhone 6 like last week. That's a pretty short timeframe to copy, develop, produce and begin shipping knock-off products. It's more likely that Spigen goes through a third party to design and produce many of their launch cases. This third party probably purchased stolen parts and specs from factory workers in China: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/16/iphone-6-shell-foxconn/

...and is producing cases branded for many different companies, Verus included.

8. DerekDock macrumors member

DerekDock

Yup. I only wish the colors where more uniform on the Spigen. I received the Gunmetal Slim Armor and I feel like the gunmetal is a little too brown. They really need to match colors to the Space Grey and not just the white.

9. dolomite360 macrumors member

Beware that Spigen has branding on the back of the cases

They almost tricked me for the case I wanted. Of the 8 pictures they showed of the cases, only 1 showed their branding. It magically disappeared for the 7 other pictures

10. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

11. nies macrumors 6502

12. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Spigen Metal Neo Hybrid has metal bumpers as well. Anyone have the Metal Neo?

13. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

i got both:

Verus Iron Shield Titanium Silver

SPigen Neo Hybrid Gun Metal

both look sharp

14. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have them in hand? If so, how would you say they compare and which would you prefer if just got one. I wish they were available for prime so I knew they would be in on time for the phone arrival.

Thanks!

15. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

the verus shipped and should be here Friday.

Neo Hybrid hasn't shipped yet.

16. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the regular Neo Hybrid? Anyone have any experience with it versus the Metal Neo?

17. nies macrumors 6502

ordered the verus bumper because i think it looks a lot nicer than the spigen one. Will return the spigen one unless someone on here would like it for cheap.

18. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you get he Metal Spigen?

19. nies macrumors 6502

no the Neo Hybrid EX in Gunmetal....

20. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

I don't like the back of the Spigen, looks like it will scratch easy.

21. flamingoezz macrumors member

i have the iron shield. the cutouts and buttons seemed to be better quality from the pictures. overall its pretty nice!

some things:
    • textured back is not grippy (not a problem, but some may think it is from pictures)
    • the metal band isn't 100% tight. it can kinda be jiggled. bothered me the first few mins, but maybe im getting used to it. note: i never had a case like this so maybe its normal.

Anyone have both and can comment on the size difference? If the Spigen is slimmer, i might spring for one of those too.

22. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

If it's on your phone can you tell us how the signal is effected with the metal band on and off.

23. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Also curious which one is thinner. I have the Spigen and have had no problems so far with the signal. A friend of mine who bought the iPhone 6 as well was next to me and we both showed the same signal strength and we both have ATT.

24. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Little disappointed about the band issue. I've got my Verus coming in next week.

25. Trebuin, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I'm actually concerned that the screen lip clearance is about half of what it was (1.5mm for iPhone 5, .6mm for iPhone 6, glass protector brings 6 down to .2mm on spigen). I'm probably going to wait for a drop test to see what it can actually withstand on a face impact. I would recommend everyone email Spigen and voice your concern if you are concerned like I am.

I'm eying the iron bumper as the one with the most gap.