VERY ANGRY! 1/4in scratch on glass screen part, rainbow-like result

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by the malga, Jul 23, 2009.

1. the malga macrumors newbie

I don't know how in the world this happened, but there is a scratch on the glass part of my iPod touch that is rainbow like in appearance. It is definitely a scratch because I used my finger nail to check the if there was an indent. These things are obviously not scratch proof :(

Does anyone have a solution to this? I bought mine at Best Buy, and I also got a 2 year warranty but who knows where I put all the paperwork and what not. Thanks to anyone that can assist me, as you can tell, I am very aggravated.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What do you expect to get out of your warranty when you accidentally scratch your iPod?

Your scratch, your problem and there is little you can do about it.

3. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Both Best Buy and Apple will not give you another one. It is cosmetic damage. To prevent more scratches get a screen protector.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I wonder where people got the idea that a warranty covers scratches?

5. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Most scratches on a glass screen like the iPod would produce a rainbowy result. You can't do anything about it, next time be more careful, and only put your iPod Touch in a pocket with nothing else in it. And next time get a screen protector.

6. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Also, no where does it state that the glass on the iPhones and iPod Touches are scratch proof. They are though, very scratch resistant.

7. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

I love these threads.... "cosmetic damage - is it covered by warranty?"

Honestly

8. MTI macrumors 65816

The OP must be new to Apple products . . . frankly, Apple designs their stuff to be magnets for scuffs and scratches! :D

9. the malga thread starter macrumors newbie

To generally reply to everyone:

I have a case, I have no idea how this could have happened.

I bought this extra kind of protection plan from best buy for 50$ and upon buying it I asked if it covered screen scratches, they responded yes. This isn't just Apple's warranty...

MTI: No I'm not new to Apple products really lol

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

You could have asked them if it could be used to repair your car and they would have said yes. Give it a try, but good luck. I doubt they will help you.

11. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Best Buy will say yes to anything when selling a warranty. Cashiers would ask you to get a warranty on chewing gum if they can.

12. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

thirdparty 'extended warranties' are actually more like insurance products - And you know what they can be like - with their little fuzzy lines of small print.

Your policy (or 'warranty') document will explain what is and isn't covered better than any of us can.

Alternately could always try the old it fell off the worktop routine and claim on the household insurance.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Frankly, :) Apple does no such thing. Following a manufacturer's recommended care and handling procedures for any product will improve the chances that the product lasts longer and stays nicer-looking for longer.

Taking additional steps like getting screen protectors can help, too. Apple is definitely a magnet for third-party options. I love putting a different skin on some of my older iPods once or twice a year...

As far as battle scars go, an old iBook in my kitchen has a few scuff marks, but the thing is from 2001. It looks better than my toaster, anyway.

I am sorry the screen of the OP's iPod touch got scratched. Maybe a matte screen protector could help make the rainbow effect of the mark less noticeable.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well then have BB take care of it. Frankly I doubt BB's warranty covers scratches. That falls under normal wear and tear.

15. UrFatMom macrumors regular

Your best bet is to wait for the iPod to fail normally and get a new one ;)

Make sure you don't have sand in your pockets/and or under the screen protector next time!

16. MTI macrumors 65816

Oh yes, all the Apple matte finished objects? Or designed their products in textured surfaces? ;)

Remember the Nano scratch lawsuit? $25 refund to Nano owners.

If it's slick, glossy, shines and needs a cover, glove, skin, case, protector, armor the moment you open the box . . . it must be an Apple product.

17. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

EWP = rip off

Consumer Reports magazine always says never buy an extended warranty plan. You're literally paying to bet something will go wrong. Setting wear and tear aside (which I'm sure CR would say this case is), if things go wrong, they usually happen w/in the manufactures warranty.

Suckers pay for food at the movie theatre's concession stand, too. ;):p

18. MTI macrumors 65816

19. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

20. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

This is why you buy a good case, and a good screen protector before even starting to use your iPod.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Applecare is NOT a rip off. Your post is a rip off for the time we took to read it versus the information/help we get from it.

To OP, nothing in the world is literally scratch-proof. There might be various degrees of scratch resistance but not -proof. Not even diamond is scratch-proof; there's this type of carbon that's molecularly stronger than diamond. But all in all, it is very hard to scratch the iPod touch's glass front. I've seen live demos of razor blades and knives.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I had the same thing happen to an iPod video about 4 (I think) years ago.

I bought my iPod and told my sister to put it in her purse. It came out full of rainbow marks on the screen.

Screen protectors work much better then cases IMO seeing how most cases actually end up scratching the product if its not a clip on style case.

23. buxtone17 macrumors regular

So are you enjoying living without health insurance?

24. MTI macrumors 65816

You mean like the bad capacitors in G5 iMacs . . . defective LCD's in Early 2005 Intel iMacs . . . laptop batteries . . . iPod batteries . . . and the hits just keep on coming . . . ;)

25. sr20det91 macrumors newbie

sr20det91

So go to ifixit.com and buy a new front bezel.

If your halfway mechanically competent you can take your ipod touch apart and replace the entire front bezel and your good to go.