Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i agree with the vast majority of posters here. your machine is a great machine, and a lot of people would more than likely be happy to take it off your hands, even with new updates.

i have a 15"G4 powerbook. and i still love it, even though it has none of the features of today's machines. i wont be upgrading for ages!

be happy with what you got.

S

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
yeah ur all rite, the mac os is a great operating system, really gud, the short time it takes when i switch the power on till it reaches the desktop is brilliant, and all the programs just seem to work, and work well wiv ( ;) ) each other seamlessly, it is a great machine.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
SuperDA said:
yeah ur all rite, the mac os is a great operating system, really gud, the short time it takes when i switch the power on till it reaches the desktop is brilliant, and all the programs just seem to work, and work well wiv ( ;) ) each other seamlessly, it is a great machine.

You know, Safari and OS X have a built-in spell checker. :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You might find somebody here willing to throw a rock through your window, beat you up, and take your machine -- so you can file an insurance claim for a new computer. ;P

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
lol, its from too much typing on msn :p. hopefully me taking A-Level English in a couple days will help me out lol

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
SuperDA said:
lol, its from too much typing on msn :p. hopefully me taking A-Level English in a couple days will help me out lol

Taking the extra fraction of a second to make oneself appear edified wouldn't kill you.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
SuperDA said:
I finally bought a 20 inch iMac after a full year of planning on switching to it a couple of weeks ago. I thought that it was the perfect time to get one, i had heard of no rumors about new revised iMacs on the horizon at all. so the last couple of weeks were great, got boot camp installed wiv no faults, im usin mac os x about 95% of the time still, because its such a great OS.
But now, i come back on a saturday to read that new iMacs are on the horizon, and will probably be showcased on the 12th, which is a week from now. to say im annoyed is an understatement really, ive paid 1200 of my own saved up money for a year, to only find out now that its goin to be obsolete in a week. so now im not sure wot to do. So any help would be appreciated.

apparently you have not been on the boards in the last month or two since this has been a topic for a while.

please tell me how is it going to be obsolete?

macwanttobe

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
I'm hoping

It will reduce the price of the existing stock of imac's to something more affordable, I am looking hard for a compact Computer and am having the same problem on the window's side with the Dell XPS 200 [ outlet store $600+], but new $1200+ it won't run the new to be window's Vista w/o 1 gig ram and a preminum video card. The cheapest 17 in iMac to be found right now is $1099 at the refurbish store. My window's gru genius say wait till Xmas for the new flood of Vista Computers. I'm getting a little tired of needing a whole toolbox 4+ of filters to use my existing Windos computer on the internet.
It took a few hours of looking around to realize this is the best place for Mac info and price/shopping info. Lets wait and see those new prices before are all annoyed???

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
clevin said:
and the truth is, normally, the new stuff is always "CPU" which is indeed doesn't mean a thing. even if they have "Core8Duo" out in next 3 years, you computer won't be significant slow than that **** anyway. And all universe knows that the Bigger Ram make system runs better, not CPUs.

Are you kidding! More ram is not the main thing that makes a system run better or faster. The CPU is the heart of the system. For example, a 1 MHz system with 16 gigs of ram will never run faster than a duelcore 2.5 MHz with 2 gigs of ram. And a Core8Duo will run significantly faster than todays imacs.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
faustfire said:
Are you kidding! More ram is not the main thing that makes a system run better or faster. The CPU is the heart of the system. For example, a 1 MHz system with 16 gigs of ram will never run faster than a duelcore 2.5 MHz with 2 gigs of ram. And a Core8Duo will run significantly faster than todays imacs.
no, Im not, for most everyday usage, such as your lovely safari, or DVD player, you can pick a pentium3 1.2GHz, compare to your lovely core duo, you wouldn't see significant diference. "CPU decide the performance of a computer" is a very amateur statement since 2000.

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
SuperDA said:
I finally bought a 20 inch iMac after a full year of planning on switching to it a couple of weeks ago. I thought that it was the perfect time to get one, i had heard of no rumors about new revised iMacs on the horizon at all. so the last couple of weeks were great, got boot camp installed wiv no faults, im usin mac os x about 95% of the time still, because its such a great OS.
But now, i come back on a saturday to read that new iMacs are on the horizon, and will probably be showcased on the 12th, which is a week from now. to say im annoyed is an understatement really, ive paid 1200 of my own saved up money for a year, to only find out now that its goin to be obsolete in a week. so now im not sure wot to do. So any help would be appreciated.

Had you checked the "Buyer's Guide" section of this site you would have noticed that the current imac is nearing the end of its life.
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//
If you really wanted the latest and greatest imac money could buy, you should have done some basic market research.
Nevertheless, i agree with what most people have said. Your system is still pretty good.

jne381

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
Seriously, as of a couple of weeks ago you didn't know that they were going to be updated.

In any case, the machine you have is great. The updates may have the new processor, but the speed boost will probably minimal. If your worried about it having 64 bit capability, which I'm guessing your not, you should have waited it out no matter how long it took.

The other reason I could possibly guess you would want to wait, is for the Rev B updates. Fortunately, there have not been any major problems reported with the Intel iMac, so regret for buying this machine now is not worth the anguish you are putting yourself through. IT IS A GOOD PURCHASE AND JUST ENJOY IT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.