Very annoying copy/paste bug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ss957916, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I had been emailed a word doc which contained several phone numbers which I wanted to save as contacts. I copied one, went to contacts, created contact, pasted and voilà! So I went back to the word doc in the email but copy/paste simply wouldn't work.

If I went to any other app it would work, but not in Mail. I had to force quit mail and reopen for it to work again. So I copied the second number, created the contact, went back and again copy/paste had stopped working.

Very annoying. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

So far, I haven't had any problems with copy/paste; It's been working perfectly fine and I've been happy with it.

Not sure what could be wrong. If all else fails, restore to see if it'll be fixed.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i had several occasions where copy paste did not work in mail or safari. very annoying. i'm using copy paste very rarely so i don't know if this is a bug that comes up every time or if it was just a random glitch. when it happens i'm usually in a hurry so i don't investigate or reproduce the problem.

6. chappy87 macrumors regular

No problems at all with copy and paste so far....

7. martinmartin macrumors 6502

on a related note, i havent been able to copy a phone number from an existing contact...

is that possible?

8. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

You can if you go into edit contact, select the number and then copy it from the resulting text box.

One thing I've noticed is that you can't paste a number into the dialler keypad page. That seems like a schoolboy error...

9. View macrumors regular

You need to click on edit and go to that phone number (where you can change the phone number), and you will be able to select and copy it there.

10. actorkid macrumors 6502

tap edit in the contact, tap on the number you want to copy. It'll bring you to the area to "edit" the person's number. Instead just copy it. A slight inconvenience, but at workaround nonetheless

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Anyone else want to post the same answer, slightly re-worded? ;)

12. iP2 macrumors member

I think the reason you can't do this is because you 'should' be able to just call the number directly from where ever you tried to copy it from. For example, you see a phone number on a web page or elsewhere...just hold the number until the Call Option pops up (if it recognizes it as a valid phone number).

I also found if you can't paste info correctly, paste whatever it is into Notes. From there it seems you can C/P anything to another app or location.