Very annoying Lion feature

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacPC, Sep 29, 2011.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

One thing I hate the most in Lion is the feature that reopen my apps and files after each reboot, I turned it off in System Preferences, but yet every time I need to restart or shutdown, the dialog box have auto reopen app check box checked by default, I have to remember to uncheck it, if I forget, it will reopen my app again after a reboot. Who the hell at Apple came up with this idiotic idea anyways. Is there a trick to make it unchecked permanently?

2. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Its an unwanted feature. I'd call it a bug. Lion is full of those.

A fix for these 'bugs' (or features for the Lion lovers) will be something simply called... *gasp* an option.

3. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

I think the dude made the decision to implemented this "feature" was doing crack or LSD at the time.

4. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

eek! thats one of my favorite features. Though I understand where your coming from because If you tell it not to auto resume and then it still asks you... Well, thats extremely annoying. But I love how I don't have take the time to bookmark pages I'm reading or when I'm taking an online class and need to restart due to an update or whatever and upon logging back in my class is still up and my notes and stuff.

5. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, from time to time it might be convenient, no doubt about it. But if the user
    decided not to use it, it should stay that way. I was in the office the other morning listening to NPR, I was the only person in the office at the time, my hearing isn't that good so the volume was a bit high. Latter when my colleagues came in, I restarted the iMac and went to the bathroom, when I came back the iMac was blasting and annoyed every one, so embarrassing!!http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif

6. ceej macrumors member

Try control&clicking on the icon in the dock and don't select to have the app start upon booting, under options. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if the reopen windows isn't highlighted, the app is being told specifically to open when you start.

7. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Appreciate the tip, but what you're talking about is something different. It's a known issue (or known awful feature with poor functionality working as intended) that there is no way to deselect "Reopen windows when logging back in" in a manner that makes the choice stick.

This is a new Lion feature that reopens everything as it was on shutdown on the next reboot, not the older "Open at Login" feature.

8. ceej macrumors member

If you quit all of those apps instead of just pressing the red button and make sure what I told you to do is done, then it won't happen.

9. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

I am hopping to see someone comes up with a hack(work arounds.) via the terminal to fix this BS, haha, just when I think I could get away with all the Windows hacks BS. Congradulations Apple, OSX is getting more and more like Windows every day!!! :(

10. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Like other iDevices This iOS "feature" in Lion is made for flash memory (SSD's) which is where all MacBooks are headed. (Or where Apple wants us to go).

And yes, I agree... for us antiquated folks using conventional drives the restore apps toggle should remember its last setting. And there is a simple and permanent hack for this which gives you a clean boot regardless of what the checkbox is set to.

I'm too lazy to find it though. :)

Edit: Here are the instructions:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/25/disable-reopen-windows-when-logging-back-in-in-mac-os-x-lion-completely/

11. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, fantastic, precisely what I am looking for, I will give it a try then I will move to an old folks house
    to use their IBM 8088!! :)

12. cherieaustralia macrumors newbie

cherieaustralia

pulled the pin

I've pulled the pin, reformatted and put Snow Leopard back on.
    I really wanted to like Lion and maybe twelve months down the track I will but for the present it's such a relief to get back to snowy.
    It's a weight off somehow.
    To me Lion is still a work in progress and it will get better I'm certain of that.

13. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

@Steve's Barber Hi I tried the link, it just doesn't do it! :(

Apple's next commercial:
    Hi I am a Mac, you are a PC, when I grow old, I want to be the pain in the a$$
    just like you.

14. marc11 macrumors 68000

15. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Yeah, i've got an SSD in my work Macbook Pro and it makes Resume amazing. I don't even sleep my laptop much anymore.

But it should remember your preference if you don't want to use it.

16. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Heh... I'm well aware of the difference between the "red button" and actually quitting an application. What this thread is referring to is the "Reopen windows when logging back in" option that appears when one chooses to restart or shut down. It loads all applications when logging in that were active when restarting or shutting down. The functionality to turn this off permanently, rather than deselecting it every time, is not a part of the operating system.

What you described in your original post was the ability to designate specific applications to open every time when logging in, regardless of their status in the previous shut down, which has been around for some time. My guess is that you didn't notice this thread was discussing Lion and haven't experienced this silly, nearly-locked in "feature" yet.

17. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

18. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Haha I noticed that too, I shut my computer down and upon starting back up my iTunes reopened and started playing music, I'm glad I have a habit of shutting off my speakers :D .