Very annoying wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paddy, Jun 2, 2007.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hi there, just today bought myself a new macbook to replace my battered iMac. The iMac (which is an ancient G4) will connect via airport with no problems. I disabled all my modems security setting because I thought they might be the problem, but no matter what the airport on the Macbook wont connect. It just said there was an error connecting and that's it. Also when I go into network diagnostics to connect it won't let me as it says I have to enter the WEP pass (which was disabled), so either way I'm screwed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried restarting/power cycling the router, restaring the computer, and trying agian?

You also might want to try getting on at a coffee shop, or a neighbors Wifi, to see if it is your router or your Macbook.

3. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Tried restarting both and made no difference. Like I said, what worries me is that the iMac connects fine via wireless. I'm on the Macbook at the moment but I'm connected via ethernet.

4. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Did you try getting on a neighbors?

5. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

They've got a WEP encryption and they won't give me the pass! Think it's a hardware problem with the Macbook at all?

6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I never had good luck.....with my macbook always dropped airport for n o reason at all.........

7. Winterfell macrumors regular

It's more than likely related to your router settings rather than any fault with your MacBook. Grab an ethernet cable, or go buy a cheap one if you don't have one, and connect directly to the router. From there you will be able to access the router settings.

if I had to guess, I would say that the router is probably blocking your new computer because it doesn't recognize the mac address (not to be confused with Mac). ;)

But 90% of the time it is not a hardware problem.

8. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thanks Winterfell, I did do that alright (connect via ethernet). I reset the modem though, and my iMac and Wii connect more or less straight away without any problem or adjustment. Is there anything I could do the make the modem recognise the macbook? I've never had a problem like this before, my friends iBook connects automatically with no problems.

9. Winterfell macrumors regular

Routers of course vary, but can you find an area of your router settings akin to access lists or firewall settings, or something like that? Sometimes you'd be surprised what ends up in those lists. That's the first place I would check.

10. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Tried that but it didn't work :mad: It's telling me now I selected an incorrect network (wrong), have the wrong pass (wrong) am not within range (wrong) and have the wrong security type (wrong), Very frustrating. What are the odds its a hardware issue? Every other wireless device I have will connect.

11. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sorry but would it be possible to piggyback the internet from my iMac? You know just use it as sort of a bridge to my modem?

12. btcomm macrumors regular

Maybe your network preferences are jacked up. Have you tried making another location? Or just make a location if you have not already? Have you tried trashing preferences? I have a feeling either your OS is screwed up or your airport card and or antenna is messed up. Like others have said, maybe you should try a hotspot and see if you have trouble there as well. I have a feeling it's not a mac address issue since you reset your modem and you still have the problem.

13. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sorry I took so long to reply but my home internet is now fully broken (I'm in a cafe). I don't think its an issue with my modem anyway because my macbook won't connect to my neighbours modem without it's security on. Back to the shop?