Very basic and stupid question regarding a new 2-year contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Jun 12, 2010.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I think I already know the answer to this but... here's my problem.

I'm not 18 yet, and my line (on a family plan) is eligible for the $199/299 iPhone. I was planning on taking advantage of that. My original plan was to wait in line at the Apple Store on launch day. Can I do that if I'm not 18 and am taking advantage of the subsidized price but am the owner of my line? If not, will the AT&T store be any different? And if not that, can I preorder it online and pick it up on launch day? What are my options here? Do you even have to be 18 to renew it like I'm planning?

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

If you are not 18, the most seamless process is to order it online and have it shipped to your door the day of. Then you don't have to worry about being the authorized user of the account or being old enough to make changes.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First you have to be 18 to sign a contract in most states, some are even 19 or 21.

If your "line" is part of a FamilyTalk plan then you most likely are not the owner of your line, again that contract thing. All the lines in a FamilyTalk plan are assigned a single account owner. Is that you? If not, then the best you could get is to be added as a Retail Authorized User. Again, the 18 thing. You will need to provide a Photo ID and that will show the age thing again, sorry.

If you really want to to pre-order for in-store pickup, you are going to need to bring the Account owner to the Apple store or to the AT&T store. As the previous poster indicated, your best bet would be a pre-order for home delivery on June 24.

Dave