Very basic (I think) iPad question from newbie.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JPA, Jan 16, 2011.

1. JPA macrumors newbie

Is my following understanding correct?
    The 'operating system' on the iPad ( and I suppose also iPhone and iTouch) is all in hardware/firmware so there is no typical system maintenance required other than occasional firmware updates from Apple. This can't be messed up by viruses, etc so there's no need to worry about virus scanner and its updates and other such system tasks. And surfing to unfriendly sites cannot damage the system.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You are correct. This is also why you can't download software, except that approved by Apple, so you don't have to worry about viruses, spyware, etc.

TEG

3. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Thats why ios is so great. No viruses no spyware nothing:D

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

the OS is iOS, and yes you don't need any maintenance, just to close all the apps once in while or turn it off/on from time to time if you experience that it is working slowly than before.
    Virus are not there yet, I believe technically is feasible to have them but there are not any yet. Just be careful of any phising website or email, like you will do with your Mac.
    I think that so far the vulnerabilities had been exploited mainly to jailbreak them and not for any malicious purpose. And Apple has been kind of fast to release firmware updates to fix them.

5. JPA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast replies confirming what I thought.