Very basic newbie question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Steampigs, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Steampigs macrumors newbie

I am a Mac virgin, having taken delivery of my imac yesterday (hurray).

i have also purchased an Airport Extreme Base Station.

My problem is with my modem. It has a USB lead and a socket for the DSL cable. A colleague at work says I need a modem with a socket for the DSL cable and an ethernet socket.

An ethernet cable with link the airport base station and the modem.

Is this correct?

If so will my broadband provider (Tiscali) give me a modem free or charge or will I have to buy one from them, or elsewhere.

I'm sorry if this is a ridiculously stupid question, but I'm sure you guys can help me!

Regards
    Steampigs

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It depends on the provider, really. Some charge a nominal fee if you need an Ethernet modem for your computer. Others will replace the one you have at no charge. And yes, this other person is correct - you will need an Ethernet modem for your Mac.

3. Steampigs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that

I'll give them a call tonight!

4. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Uh-Oh. Things could be more complicated than I thought.
    I will be getting my internet access through Time Warner (RoadRunner). I plan on hooking that up from the wall to an Airport Extreme base station, then running Airport between my iMac and AE. Will I need a cable modem to go between the wall and the AE?
    I currently have fiber and connect my iMac via RJ45 directly to it. I assumed the cable would connect directly to the AE. Thanks (again)!
    Morod

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is what you'll need to do:
    Connect the incoming fiber to the modem. Connect an Ethernet cable from the outgoing port on the modem to the AE. Then, you should be fine.

6. Steampigs thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so that was a waste of time, the girl in the call centre hadn't got a clue what I was on about!

I have browsed a couple of forums and spoken to a couple of people and come to the conclusion that the more I understand the more stoopid I become.

I have purchased an airport extreme base station and can't connect it to my USB modem.

I have asked Tiscali for an ethernet modem - to no avail.

A (different) collegue at work says i don't need the airport extreme and should just get a router.

So............

Should I search for an ethernet modem to link the airport and the asdl?

Should I buy a cheap(ish) router instead?

Are Macs and Tiscali broadband compatible?

Any advice welcome.

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Your collegue is wrong. The AirPort Extreme IS a router.

Yes, you should definitely try to get an ethernet modem for your ADSL.

There's no reason to think that Macs and Tiscali broadband won't work together. You just need the right hardware.

9. streamsofstars macrumors newbie

Mac and Tiscali

Hello

Did you manage to resolve your problem? I have the same one. I have tiscali broadband with my PC at the moment, and am really struggling to get my mac up and running with Tiscali.

The Tiscali helpline have no help to offer. I currently have the Tiscali speedtouch modem, but I can't get a connection using it.

If I have any success I will post and let you know.

Cheers

Streamsofstars.

10. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I currently have a Tiscali 2MB ADSL connection. It works fine with my Mac's, PC's, Wii, PDA, iPhone etc...

The speedtouch modem they sent me was useless so I threw it away, and replaced it with an all in one Nethear modem router.

Steampigs, you will either need to buy an Ethernet Adsl modem or return your airport for an all in one modem router.

11. Steampigs thread starter macrumors newbie

I rang Tiscali again and they refused to give me a different modem until I spoke to a supervisor. They sent me a Thomson Speedtouch 510 which did the trick.

My wireless connection is working fine.

12. streamsofstars macrumors newbie

Tsk tsk tiscali

Hello again

I'm glad you've resolved your problem steampigs.

After waiting over 3 weeks for a disc to arrive from Tiscali I've given up and today bought one of the routers that southernboy recommended.

I am sure that will resolve my probelm. Thanks for your help :D

SofS.