Very Basic Question About Lion Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by boodyup, Aug 11, 2011.

1. boodyup macrumors member

This is probably a stupid question but...

If I install Lion Server, will it take away certain capabilities/Libraries from my iMac that I would've had if I just kept Lion? So, for instance, do applications like photoshop or Games take a hit performance-wise because Lion server isn't optimized for handling graphics-intensive applications? Please take Ram out of the equation as I will spring for extra (I should have 8GB by the end of the month).

For some reason I thought I was told that this happens with Windows Installations (Home vs. Professional). I don't want to sacrifice functionality, but rather build upon it.

TIA

2. Abacab macrumors member

Lion Server

The question should be is 'Why do you want to install?'
    You will loose I-tunes and maybe Iphoto.
    Why not pick up a used Mac mini if you want to experiment?
    FS

3. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

you won't loose iPhoto or iTunes or anything like that.
    the Server components are just bolt-ons that run in the background. i installed it on my mac mini and i still have all the usual, non-server software installed and running alongside it.

you might see a small performance hit, but i'd think that'd only impact things like games

4. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

If you are running iPhoto on a Server, you don't need Server. If you want to "play around" with server the best thing to do would be to put it in a VM or a second machine.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That all depends.
    If you want a home server, a Mac mini running Lion server which also does DNS/DHCP, FileSharing, etc. is fine also running iLife.
    iPhoto sharing and iTunes sharing on one Mac mini server is fun!

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

This is completely wrong. You do not loose iTunes or iPhoto. I run Lion Server and it performs just as my regular Lion installs.

And, there's plenty of reason to want to do this. A good one is its the cheapest way to admin another Lion Server. As was mentioned, its a great way to turn a system into a home server.

To the OP, you have nothing to worry about. Go ahead if you want to.

7. Izlib macrumors member

Izlib

I use iPhoto and iTunes on the same mac mini that I have running my open directory, VPN and private mail server using Lion server.

No big deal.

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Standalone 10.X install disks actually install iChat and iTunes etc. I never really knew why. But anyway, if you have a lot of other people accessing it you might see a performance hit, but I'll bet not.