Very basic question about ram

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfer99, Nov 17, 2007.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

This might be the dumbest question yet but I just have to ask...Will I lose any thing (data,songs,pictures,docs,programs,website favorites,etc) on my computer when I replace my RAM? I just order 2gb of RAM from crucial to replace my 512 that came with the macbook and I am just not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

no, it has nothing to do with what you have stored, just the speed

3. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the quick response. Any link as to instuctions on replacing ram?

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

for what computer?

edit 1: macbook, sorry, didn't see that

edit 2: try this

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

To add a little more detail:

All your information is stored on a Hard Disk Drive. This has moving parts and can fail, which is why you are advised to back up your PC/Mac onto a separate, external HDD.

Your RAM is solid-state, which means no moving parts. It is only used to temporarily (very temporarily) hold information so your HD isn't used. So you won't lose anything by changing RAM, and you should get a nice speed bump with it.

6. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks once again for the quick response. Appreciate all the help and clarification of RAM vs Hard Drive. Good stuff to know.