Very big problems on 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reshtheory, Mar 9, 2008.

1. reshtheory macrumors newbie

So I had Vista and Leopard running side by side perfectly, until I decided I wanted to downgrade to XP SP2... I erased the partition, and tried to make a new partition, but it failed, saying something about "disk verification failed, must repair disk"... I looked online, and someone said that they booted in safe mode, and did the partition and it worked... I tried this, but it gave me a major error, saying "You must restart your macbook pro"... So I did, and when I launched into leopard, the partition didn't show up, but it ate my hard drive space anyway.... Now, my mind is hurting and I need some help

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

how did you delete the partition.
    you can do it through disk utility
    or through boot camp which is probably the easiest

and bumps are a no no here.
    read the rules

3. reshtheory thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry about that
    well, i deleted the partition the first time through boot camp
    the second time, the partition was made under safe mode, but it got "stopped" because mac said i needed to shut down... sorta like the blue screen of death, but not... when i restarted into mac, i found that the partition i made ate into my harddrive without actually showing up as a partition

4. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

run disk utility
    then if that fixes nothing
    erase and fresh instal
    i bet the later of the two

5. reshtheory thread starter macrumors newbie

damn, hoped it didn't have to get to that
    but oh well, this external came handy = D
    thanks LOTS!

reshtheory

6. gothamm macrumors 6502a

this happened to me as well. It ate a chunk of my HD without the partition showing up.

The solution is quite simple.

if you go into disk utility it will tell you everythings fine. But if you boot into your Leopard Restore disc (pop in disc, restart and hold down C) and go to disk utility here, it will restore the volume for you and when you boot into leopard again your missing space will be back again.