Very bottom portion of trackpad not responsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt15f, Sep 20, 2011.

1. matt15f macrumors member

All the sudden over the last couple days I have noticed the very bottom horizontal strip of the trackpad on my 2011 15" is not responding.

The rest of the trackpad seems to be working fine, and the rest of the computer is working just fine.

Can part of the trackpad go out like that? Anyone experience anything like this?

Thinking about setting up a genius appointment but it seems a little petty...

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

If it's like mine (2011 15" i7) the bottom 8-9mm or so (near a 1/3") seems to be without sensors.. Otherwise I can run my finger 'all around' it and move the cursor.. Likely Just How IT Is!!

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I had not noticed before but I have the same experience with my early 2011 17".

:cool:

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's for people who still use a trackpad like it has a physical button. I use my trackpad that way and keep my thump on the trackpad right there. Imagine if it were touch sensitive? That would drive me nuts.

5. matt15f thread starter macrumors member

sounds like this may not be a defect and just how the trackpad works, maybe i just never noticed it.

6. matt15f thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else with experience on trackpad's going bad feel free to chime in.

7. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

mine had something similar. the hard click on the trackpad didn't work. so I took it to Apple and they replaced the trackpad. mind you mine was from 2009.

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Like others said, it's supposed to be like that, my MBP is the same as well as others I've used. That very very bottom part of the trackpad across as far as I know is supposed to be designed like that, like someone mentioned pry b/c people still rest their thumbs there out of habit...

9. Nocky24 macrumors member

I think they are all like it. I've bought and sold a few MacBooks over the last 12 months and I've noticed this as well, but as everyone I had was like it, I dismissed any idea of it being a fault. Warbrain's explanation sounds like a good enough reason for it being the way it is.

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The bottom portion should be sensitive, in that, when you start a tracking motion outside of it, and move into it, it should move fine.

But if you start the tracking motion in the bottom portion, it gives it a short grace period before starting to actually track, giving it giving it time to act as physical button without jogging the cursor around unintentionally.