Very close to making a purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krazykongo, Mar 20, 2008.

1. krazykongo macrumors newbie

Im going to be making an order in the next few days but still dwelling on a couple issues.

If you could help me with making the final decisions i would be very appreciative.

ok, im going to be gettin the 17" Macbook Pro. Below, the specs are divided into definite and unsure:

Definite

2GB RAM (will upgrade to 4GB myself- works out a lot cheaper)
    200GB 7200RPM HDD
    Hi-Res Screen (but wait...look below)
    Apple Remote
    AppleCare

Unsure???

2.5Ghz OR 2.6Ghz processor
    Hi-Res Gloss OR Matte screen

I will be using the MBP for design work predominantly. Creative Suite 3 and CAD packages will be used mostly. I will also use the MBP for the usual internet and media & entertainment.

If im going to upgrade to 4GB is having the 2.6GHz overkill?
    Using the HE discount i will only pay approx £134 instead of £160. is it still worth it?

can it be overclocked to get the 2.6Ghz? is it worth overclocking a mac?
    do apple clock the cpus to get the 2.6hz? is extra cooling provided in the 2.6hz?

Ive read a lot of threads about gloss and matte screens and still cant make my mind up. Ive even been down to the apple store to take a look for myself but still cant decide.

Any designers or design-related professionals out there who can give their opinion?
    I know that matte has a more accurate colour reporduction and hence would be beneficial for design work, but i cant help but think that if im spending close to 2K i want the most up-to-date hardware.

Is gloss going to be the future? or will matte and gloss always exist as an option?

does the hi-res LED screen make any difference to reflections and glare?

ok i think thats all i have to say for the time being.

any help would be appreciated as its been a frustrating couple weeks trying to make decisions :)

2. ibizarocks macrumors regular

3. krazykongo thread starter macrumors newbie

monte..what!?

i need to make a purchase soon so if thats the model which is coming in the summer then thats no good for me. even though i know i will be regretting my purchase come summer.

i need the mbp in the next couple weeks as im going to be writing my dissertation and stuff.

4. ibizarocks macrumors regular

oh ok, then get matte with 2.5ghz and install 4gb ram yourself.

5. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Wouldn't installing the RAM yourself mess with the warranty? Just a thought.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

No point to pay to get the 2.6. If you are doing design work, you should get matte. It's really a personal choice, you need to spend more time at an Apple store, no one here can decide for you. One isn't necessarily better than the other, it depends on the use, they will both co-exist.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

No, RAM is a approved user upgradeable thing. You are provided with instructions on how to do it.

8. krazykongo thread starter macrumors newbie

yes ture, i guess i can only decide for myself. I think i will go with the matte as im used to them and my mum has a glossy dell and i seem to find my eyes getting tired a lot quicker on that screen.

ive heard from a few people that the warranty isnt voided if you change the ram yourself.

can anybody else comment?

9. ibizarocks macrumors regular

10. WHM macrumors regular

I have the glossy on my iMac desk top and ordered the glossy on the newly released MacBook Pro but changed my mind and went with the matte. I now like the matte better after seeing the reflections on the screen all day it starts to get annoying.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

as others have mentioned, no point in getting .1 more GHz. Installing RAM yourself does not void the warranty, or other computer work as long as you dont short or break anything in the process.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Uh my 2 cents:

Get the 2.5G. 100MHz is not worth paying $250 for!
    2GB of RAM is adequate. I've actually never used for than 1.5GB at a time.
    If you nice contrast, but over saturated colors get the glossy. If you want no glare, correct color reproduction, get the matte. (Hint: The matte is better)

13. krazykongo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help and advice guys :)

making my decisions a bit easier and will be making an order on monday!

14. DJJONES macrumors 6502

im a dj and do a ton of audio work and i just got my penryn basemodel mbp wid 2.4. this thing is a screamerrrr!!!!!. i am also using the 5400 rpm hd and cant tell the difference btw the 7200 or 7400 rpm hd from my quad core machine. i acutally think my macbook is faster then my desktop.

what ever u go with you WILL be happy