*very* compact printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sufs, Aug 21, 2013.

1. sufs macrumors newbie

I need something that prints A4 sized documents. In my experience all printers are extremely ugly on the desk, makes a LOAD of noise, and lasts for half a year before total meltdown. I want something that does not do that.

I print approx. 100 pages a month, probably less. Airplay compatibility needed. Price not an issue. If you know something that matches my rMBP alu design plz tell.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Fancy looking printers are generally garbage.

The Brother MFC-J6910DW should meet all your other criteria.
    - Print, Copy and Scan A4 sized paper (does up to 11x17)
    - AirPrint compatible
    - Reliable workhorse

It also does duplex printing. Though it's not the most aesthetically pleasing printer you have to choose between looks and reliability. Only cheap consumer trash printers look good.

You may even consider a laser printer. Although for some reason not many business models offer AirPrint yet.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

AirPrint can be done using handyPrint or similar. I suggest a compact laser, Quiet, reliable, inexpensive.

4. Operant macrumors newbie

If you're getting a wifi printer, then you could technically put it anywhere. A shelf, the garage, under the desk, whatever. I would just try to get something reliable.

5. Giuly, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you don't care about the performance of the printer but solely about the compactness and style, the HP Envy 120 pretty much got you covered. However, the cost of ownership is high and the quality for photo printing isn't that great.
    [​IMG]

The Epson XP-600 is equally compact (higher but narrower), however the print quality is much better. They call these things "Small-in-One", so that might be for you.
    [​IMG]

6. Htin macrumors regular

Htin

are there any printers that match the imac? something sleek and minimalist looking

7. stevefo macrumors regular

stevefo

Get a wifi printer and put it somewhere else. I put mine in my closet on a shelf and I can barely hear it.

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Mount it on the ceiling! :D

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

canon pixma ip100

ive got the ip90v and its been going strong since like 2009.

not sure if it can do airprint though but a great compact photo printer that looks good on the desk, prints quality, and is reasonably priced at $250

10. Icaras, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I love my new Canon Pixma MG6320 printer which just came out not too many months ago. I've been looking for a white printer to match my decor and my Apple set up for the longest time and I couldn't be happier with it. They also sell a glossy black version as well. I agree with your statement that most printers are ugly, but I seriously think it's the best looking consumer printer I've ever seen. :cool:

However, it's not the most compact printer on the market. It's actually slightly larger than the HP Envy printer, but still much smaller and lighter than a typical Canon multifunction office printer. It performs wonderfully and is Airprint compatible too. I actually used to own the first model HP Envy but the touchscreen controls on the Canon printer is way beyond that of the Envy (1st gen). Haven't tried the newer model yet but I would suspect it should be of similar quality by now.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by IcarasX, on Flickr

You know I think that's the best uber compact printer I've still seen so far and I also used to own the first generation of that and liked it a lot. I really liked how compact it was. Nothing beats it in terms of size to this day I believe. I bought the second model though with the bluetooth dongle, and I just could not get it to work nice with OS X. Bluetooth is nice and universal but it would be great if Canon were to update it with the latest bluetooth spec and Airplay. I can only imagine that a printer of that size would be very ideal for more mobile users with only iOS devices.