very complex page layout. Any ideas on how to do it?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by bluemonkey, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bluemonkey macrumors regular

The image below is a page of a travel guide for truck drivers. It's printed by a local fuel company and given to the trucking companies, so their drivers will always know where to find Pilot gas stations in whatever state they happen to need fuel. There's a page like this for every state. I've worked out a nested style sheet in InDesign that takes care of the text at the bottom, but the state maps up top befuddle me. I have an illustrator file of each state which includes the state outline and the red interstate lines, but the fuel locations have to be placed on each state's map with a 3 level hierarchy of preference, which is distinguished by the three symbols. The fuel location data is usually submitted in an excel spreadsheet.

Can anyone think of any way to do this short of manually placing a star, triangle or circle at each location in each individual state's illustrator file? Sometimes they add competitor locations in cities outside their coverage area, and I have to use an atlas to find where to put them on the state's graphic. As you can imagine, this is very tedious business, and I would love to be able to streamline, even if it means buying additional software.

[​IMG]

2. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Here's a possible solution though I have no experience using it...

WINDOWS ONLY : Territory Mapper
    Perhaps you can run demo from Boot Camp, Parallels or VMWare Fusion. It does not install with CrossOver Mac.

http://www.territorymapper.com/upgrade_v4.html

"New GeoBuild feature creates custom map layers from your sales hierarchy. Create custom map layers of your territories, districts, regions, areas or any other grouping that you want."