Very confused

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gregrose, Nov 25, 2010.

1. gregrose macrumors 6502

Hey all, Ive been reading everything and im pretty confused about whats going on right now.

First off, is there an official way to JB 4.2.1 yet, or are we all still waiting for the official release?

Second, what exactly does everyone mean by tethered and untethered jailbreaks?

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, Redsn0w (iPhone Dev Team) has been updated to jailbreak 4.2.1. This jailbreak is unfortunately tethered.

Tethered = Every time your device's battery dies or needs to be rebooted, you have to run the jailbreak software to turn it back on properly.

Untethered = You can reboot your iPhone anytime without using the jailbreak software.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's actually semi-tethered. Basically, it'll reboot without being tethered (as long as Mobile Substrate isn't installed) but you won't be able to run any jailbreak/tweaks. For that you have to boot with redsn0w.

4. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

Whattttttt im still confused lol....ok back on my iphone 3g i jailbroke with blackrain through my computer, was that considered a tethered or untethered? & by reboot do you mean just turning the phone off & on?

sorry im an idiot with this stuff

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah dude, re-boot means when u install an app and it asks you to do a re-boot. Or when you run out of battery juice and the phone turns off, and you re-start it.

6. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

haha oh ok just making sure...

wow that sucks then, its probably smart to just wait for untethered, anyone know how long that may take till it comes out?

damn should of just stayed on 4.1

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It gets even more complicated if you have a newer iDevice (newer 3GS, iPhone 4) as you'll probably have to save your 4.1 SHSH blobs (unique string of numbers for your specific device and firmware) to Cydia via the TinyUmbrella app for an untethered jailbreak (that's what Comex [one of the hackers] is saying at least).

8. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have 4.2.1 on ip4, I never jailbroke on my 4 before so what shall i do?

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You're basically up a creek unless they figure out a way to make it untethered without the need of the 4.1 SHSH blob.

10. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok last question & I will understand it all.

With the tethered jb, if I have to reboot I just lose the jb for the time being, otherwise the phone will still work like normal? Or do I have to reboot with it connected to comp for it to power on at all?

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

1st. If you have 4.1 now you may get an untethered jb with pwnage tool. Next to your above question u can reboot only if you dont have things that plug into the spring board.

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

u wont lose the JB, u just need to help your phone boot up with the help of a computer.