Very Dim Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beto4632, Sep 3, 2012.

1. beto4632 macrumors newbie

On my dads 2006 A1181. The screen is very dim, it starts up normaly but you have to hold a flashlight or have it under direct light in order to see the images.
    So i was looking online and thinking that i should replace the inverter board and the screen to make it work? Or could it be a motherboard problem that is cousin this problem.
    Thank You:apple:

2. beto4632 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. DaKKs macrumors 6502

its either the inverter or the backlight, aka cfl tubes.

i'd start with the inverter but with such an old machine. I wouldn't be surprised if its the backlight. mine is a 2006 as well and its recently started to flicker a bit.

Unless you have experience with servicing LCD panels, i'd recommend that you buy a complete LCD. Its very tricky work otherwise.

4. kaydot macrumors regular

Agree with what DaKKs said. Also, get an estimate on the cost of replacing it if you want a professional to do it (in the realm of $200-300 US usually). Keep in mind that is about a quarter of the cost of a refurb Macbook Air or 13" Pro.

5. beto4632 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys im going to buy a screen with a inverter, i have it all taken apart just need to stuff to come in next week ill keep a follow up on how its goes.
    Thank You Again!:D