Very disappointed 3GS headphones cannot rewind (podcasts, audiobooks) :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajg23, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ajg23 macrumors newbie

One of the reasons I held off buying an iPhone was because there were no hardware buttons to pause/rewind while listening to podcasts and audiobooks, during which I have to rewind a lot.

I was really hoping the 3GS's headphone buttons would allow rewinding (not just previous track!) and pausing. At least there's pausing (already available with the old iPhone headset--squeeze the microphone). In addition to the problem of not being able to control REW/FF without looking at the screen, if I'm walking/running, the screen often ROTATES to album view so those buttons aren't even available! (And it's hard to get back to the controls :( )

Having the volume up/down buttons are perfect for controlling not only volume (press or press-and-hold) but ALSO next/prev track (double-press) and FF/REW (press, then press-and-hold).

The ability to control the audio via the headphone buttons would add an amazing amount of functionality for me. It could even be an option that could be turned on in Settings (hopefully in addition to disabling album view from Now Playing :)).

Until some point at which Apple might incorporate this functionality, is there perhaps a program which manages headphone remote button presses via a jailbreak app that might allow this? (I know one can't break a 3GS yet, but it's a reason I might jailbreak mine when it becomes available!)

2. ajg23 thread starter macrumors newbie

But generally happy with the 3GS!

Since people like to complain, I thought I'd point out that, OVERALL, I'm very happy with the 3GS :), especially in that I can open tabs in the background and switch back to the prior tab while the background tab still loads (finally!). Also caching of sites is amazingly better than on prior iPhones.

Still amazed at the lack of some things, such no shortcut to a wifi/GPS settings that one can access without leaving the current app (the icon is sitting right there!), ability of apps to access calendar database or have hooks into timers (would save them a lot of push notifications!), ability to see recent notifications (instead of them going away when phone is unlocked), and ability to turn off animations (we need battery life!)...

3. leandromp macrumors regular

Quick question, does the headphones for the 3gs, work with the 3g? (volume control, etc)