Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I currently received a replacement for a rMBP because my current one has a Dirt Screen Effect, which was formed in a line instead of splotches. Really bothered me in the middle of my screen. (also has bad discolouration from backlight bleeding. My dad is a photographer and he noticed it himself)

So my replacement comes, everything seems perfect, no DSE, but while checking for the DSE effect I found a STUCK pixel. It's TEAL coloured pixel on white, which is BLACK on red, and normal on green and blue. Other then that the colours are even.

I was in a situation to decide which one to keep and which one to return...
then all of a sudden I'm using my original macbook deciding to keep it, now there's 4 damaged pixels together and its near the middle. Are you serious? This NEVER existed before If I did I would have noticed, it's very obvious.

ONE dead pixel cannot be seen on normal usage distance, I cannot see it on my replacement. ( Didn't really bother me but just the thought that a $3000 laptop having a dead pixel is pretty disappointing)

But my original one now has 4 damaged looking pixels, I even checked with a magnifying glass. Because it's 4 pixels it is more obvious and can be seen at a farther distance. The reason for me calling it damaged is because with a magnifying glass its not one colour its white on the black background but if you look closely its uneven colour of red green blue.

Scheduled a call with Apple to let them know the problem.

I might just keep my replacement with the stuck pixel because it's not even obvious on normal usage to save the time and trouble of replacement...

In the end, this isn't a post to discourage new users to purchasing the Retina. It's an amazing laptop overall. I love it and would still recommend it to people, I'm just bad luck to get these issues.

UPDATE

So my third replacement finally came today and it was an LG screen! :O
After all the readings about the negative feed backs about LG screen's. From my point of view, nothing wrong with the screen it looks great. I'm casually using it and I don't see any IR.

Wither it will stay like this in the future I cannot say for sure, because my Galaxy S2 started to get IR after less then 6 months of use.

I was about to keep this rMBP until I noticed a dead pixel.

Last edited:

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I had DSE on both Samsung panels and couldn't stand it (especially noticeable when dragging windows across the screen).

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I had DSE on both Samsung panels and couldn't stand it (especially noticeable when dragging windows across the screen).

Agreed, It just really bothered me enough to call, I'm just going to keep my replacement, anything else goes wrong Apple Care (which I wil purchase soon) or my warrant will cover whatever happens.

Don't notice anything when transitioning windows no more, all clear just a stuck pixel if I look for it.

wiznet

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Canada
Sucks, man. Mine's perfect.

It's your choice if it's worth it to replace, but if it's just stuck you could try massaging it, I've heard that sometimes helps.

Hope your next one is better (if it gets replaced, that is)!

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
If you're not content with the computer that you received then you should return it - don't try to convince yourself to settle because you don't want to be burdened by another return process. That's completely legitimate reasoning as it is a lengthy and frustrating process, but in the end it is settling and it's going to be hard to come to terms with that in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.