Very Disappointed with Lucky Labs!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iz2sick, Oct 25, 2011.

1. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

So I just got my White Carbon Teksure wrap from Lucky Labs and I have to say I'm very disappointed.

First of all, something that was my fault mostly... When they let me choose between a matching white apple logo or another Teksure color, I chose the black carbon for $1.00 more. Right after that option, it asks if I want a "matching wrap" for just $3.00 more. Now, I was under the assumption that "matching" was in relation to the color of the logo that I chose. Makes sense to me. Having the wrap match the logo rather than the cover. Could be easily misunderstood in my opinion.

Alright, so that fault could be placed on me. I admit that. However, after installing my cover and black logo, something caught my eye when I was in a brighter area (I installed it in low light area). On the bottom right of the cover, there was a partial beginnings of what I'm assuming was to be a cutout for a home button. THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF MY WHITE CARBON BACK COVER HAS A CUTOUT FOR A HOME BUTTON!

It doesn't stop there... I was a little concerned about the cutout for the camera's flash. It was oval rather than round. I aligned everything rather well so that the cutouts aligned nicely with the camera and Apple logo. My concerns were confirmed when I tested out the flash. The pictures were washed out. The flash cutout on mine is defective due to it being oval.

I emailed Lucky Labs with these pictures so hopefully they can resolve my issues. For now, I feel like I wasted my money. Crying shame because from what I have seen from you guys, Lucky Labs has great products. The worst part about all this is the wasted time. I'm thinking about just using the white carbon Teksure wrap to get my phone protected and ready for the case that I have coming soon. This sucks...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kalt macrumors regular

this will piss you off even more - there's a Lucky Labs coupon code for 35% off - iphone4s35 - it's good till the end of this month.

3. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

one thing you will find is that lucky labs customer service is exceptional, so you will have your issues resolved, dont worry!

4. njgeek macrumors regular

Oooh...I may have to order my 2012 lineup now. ;)

5. jdlivestrong macrumors newbie

I put this in the "stuff happens" category. Even Apple has a defective product from time to time - the key is how they handle it. Give Lucky a little time to resolve this with you.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be disappointed, too. I hope they get it fixed for you quickly!

6. iz2sick, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

LoL. Nope. I used that code.

I know ish happens. Trust me, I'm a snowboard reviewer so I know haha.

I will definitely update this with how they resolve the issue. I just felt compelled to write this initial review of the product because I see nothing but positive reviews about their products. It goes to show that Lucky Labs isn't immune to defects. The main purpose is to showcase how they handle this which is why I stated that I emailed them.

I've done the same thing with snowboard equipment. After showing the faults of a particular binding, they resolved the issue promptly and much better than I would have imagined. Needless to say, that review garnered more fans for that brand due to how they handled the issue.

I'm not really upset about the money as it was cheap with discount. I'm mostly upset because of the lost time. I was expecting my phone to be fully skinned up by now lol.

I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I really appreciate it!

Oh, by the way... I know about Apple's defects lol. I had to trade my iPhone 3GS two times because of it. The very first one I got had a bad WiFi receptor. The replacement was what I believed to be a refurbished 3G screen because it was actually slightly tilted. So they sent me a brand new one straight from their China factory and I was good to go from there... until my headphone jack stopped working a year and half later. This is why I get AppleCare :D

It sounds like I'm either prone to defective products or just overtly picky doesn't it? Haha. Rest assured that I have had way more perfect products than I have had defects just to contrast.

7. kalt macrumors regular

glad to hear you used the coupon code... i just assumed you didn't b/c it hadn't been posted here yet (I just posted it in the coupon code thread). I ordered some of these myself the other day, hopefully they work out.... but yea they're pretty inexpensive, no huge loss if they don't.

8. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Hang tight - I've found lucky labs support to be exceptionally, second only perhaps to dodocase in terms of accessories.

9. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

So I decided to use the white carbon wrap even though I wanted the black one. 1 part curiosity, 2 parts I want to protect my iPhone 4S now. Overall, I'm happy. Just minor nitpicking though:

1) The wrap for the volume and mute side was a little long. It was noticeably longer next to the sim card side's wrap. Easily fixable as I just clipped it to the same size with scissors.

2) I saw that other people received the cutouts for buttons and sim card slot. I opted for the sim card slot to be cut out, but did not receive the cut portion. This could be due to the fact that I ordered the wrap as an addition to the back cover ($3.00 extra). I do have enough left-over white carbon to make the cutout myself. Could be a fun little project.

You need to be extra careful not to apply pressure while you are aligning the wrap. Let it fall naturally into place so it's easy for you to adjust alignment if need be. If you apply pressure to it and find that you need to start over, it's tough not to warp the wrap in the thinner areas like around the buttons. Other than that, it's much easier than it looks. I thought I was going to have a task ahead of me, but I am satisfied with the results of which took all but 3 minutes.

I'm not in love with the white carbon back cover and matching wrap, but it looks better than I thought it would. Still would prefer my wrap to match the black carbon Apple logo. Also, I have a feeling this will be a little more slippery than usual with cold hands. But for the far more average use, it provides enough texture for grip. The stock metal finish still has more grip, but not by much. I'll update you guys on the progress of my problems when they contact me.

Pics... P.S. don't mind the bubbles on my screen. It's the plastic that came with the phone. Still waiting for my Power Support one :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. blulegend macrumors regular

I just ordered last night. Didn't know about the coupon. Boo.

I'm also worried about the flash cutout. I don't know how any company can attempt to make it so precise having seen all the problems with the flash. I asked them in my order if they could make the cutouts a little bigger but of course they sent out my order without addressing my concern. What is the point of the additional comments section of the order form??

11. t1m1t macrumors regular

I have the black carbon fiber back piece from them and my flash cut out looks almost identical to yours. But, my pictures seem to be alright when using flash. Could you show me the difference (if it doesn't bother you) between having it on and off? Thanks!

12. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

I'll make sure to do this when I get my replacement.

Which brings me to my update. Lucky Labs contacted me and apologized and said that the miscut was really strange. He immediately sent me out a replacement cover and a black carbon teksure wrap. He also took a couple of my suggestions.

I told him that it would be a good idea to make it more clear that the "matching wrap" option is the same color as the back cover being ordered. I also suggested that they give us the option to keep the cutout pieces in. I know they have no cutout option for sim card, but I still want the cutout piece. This is because I just like the aesthetics of being able to see where the sim card slot is even though I would cover it with the cutout. This would also give people the option to make the sim card slot a different color from the wrap.

Seems like he was generally interested in my opinions. He told me that the reason for them not including the cutouts is to make it easier for the customer, but it would actually be easier for them to leave them in.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the customer service. I will order more colors now.

I will post a full review of the complete product after I receive my replacement.

Wow, I thought reviewing snowboards was fun. Reviewing iPhone accessories is fun too!

13. t1m1t macrumors regular

I ended up emailing Lucky Labs as well about my flash cutout on my back cover and was issued a new one at no cost. Customer service was fast and great! Should be here either today or Monday.

14. cman-uk macrumors regular

Regarding the problem with the camera/flash cut out, perhaps that is why SGP allow for a loose cutting on their applications... see here:
    http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-4s/sgp-cdma-verizon-iphone-4-skin-guard-set-series-3242.html

EDIT: from their site:

Q) Does the SGP skin guard have a flash issue?
    A) No, we tested many different camera cut-out shapes to determine the best shape, which will not interfere with the flash.

Also...

On this pic, can you clarify whether the side wrap has been applied to the top of the phone? I can't see a carbon fibre effect, yet it appears white, so it can't be the original Apple top band either. Maybe its just the lighting....:confused:

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

16. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Yes, it is a skin for the top as well. My camera didn't pick up on the carbon fiber pattern too well on that pic.